1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration and cylindrical coordinates

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question and my attempt are attached as pics 2015-02-23 14_46_15-Sheet#3CH11.pdf - Foxit Reader.png 2015-02-23 14_45_14-Sheet#3CH11.pdf - Foxit Reader.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't seem to find r¨ and θ¨. Assuming I already got r˙ and θ˙ (the answers are written after the question). The idea I tried was to get the acceleration equation in cylindrical coordinates,
    a=(r¨−rθ˙2)r^+(rθ¨+2θ˙r˙)θ^
    and the a in intrinsic coordinates (v˙t^+v2/ρn^) in our case I assumed that t^=i and n^=j and that assumption is correct because it got the r˙ right, then I got r^ and θ^ in terms of i and j and now we have 2 equations with 2 unknown. The problem is that it gets the answer wrong, I checked my numbers a trillion time, still cant get the answer, anyone have any idea what is wrong? 10428009_1594866114062921_7986662162992654878_n.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I see nothing wrong with your method or working. Did you find ##\dot r## and ##\dot \theta## independently, or are you just using the numbers given? What numbers do you get for the second derivatives?

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3
    i managed to get ##\dot r## and ##\dot \theta## but i didnt include it here, i am gonna use the given numbers for now, the question asks for second derivatives he gave me the answers but they dont match mine

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted