Angular velocity and acceleration

In summary, a small mass on a circular revolving table with a constant angular acceleration of 2 rad/s and a static coefficient of friction of 0.2 will start to slip at an angular velocity of 3.13 rad/s. This is determined by setting up a free body diagram and using equations for circular motion and Newton's second law. The given angular acceleration is not needed in the calculation.
Nikstykal

Homework Statement

Small mass sits on a circular revolving table, 200 mm from center. It is given a constant angular acceleration of 2 rad/s. The static coefficient of friction is 0.2. At what angular velocity will the mass start to slip?
pv4ATHI.png

Homework Equations

ar=v2/r
ar=r''-rθ'2
aθ=rθ''+2r'θ'
ΣFi=mai
Ff,max=μN

The Attempt at a Solution

I first set up a free body diagram with wmass pointing downwards, Ff pointing left, normal pointing upwards, with ar vector pointing to the right.

Since the distance is unchanging, r = 0.2m, r'=0, r''=0. θ''=2rad/s, θ'=2t rad/s + c, θ=t2+ct+d

ΣFz=maz=N-mg, since az=0, N=mg
ΣFr=mar=m(r''-rθ'2)=-Ff
Combining: m(r''-rθ'2)=-μmg
Simplifying: -rθ'2=-μg

θ' = ω = √(μg/r)
θ' = √(0.2⋅(9.81m/s2)/0.2m) = 3.13 rad/s

Does this look correct? I never used the given angular acceleration so I feel like I missed something. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
That seems right to me. although the acceleration is to the left (which the math seems to identify with already)

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is usually represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are both measures of how quickly an object is moving. However, angular velocity refers to the rotational motion of an object, while linear velocity refers to the straight-line motion of an object.

3. What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. In other words, it measures how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing. The two are related by the equation ω = ω0 + αt, where ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time.

4. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular velocity and acceleration?

Examples of angular velocity and acceleration can be seen in everyday activities such as riding a bike, swinging a bat, or spinning a top. In these cases, the object is rotating around a fixed axis and experiences changes in angular velocity and acceleration as it moves.