Acceleration and Friction of a Rolling Cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
hm8
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A lawn roller in the form of a thin-walled, hollow cylinder with mass M is pulled horizontally with a constant horizontal force F applied by a handle attached to the axle.

a)If it rolls without slipping, find the acceleration.

b)If it rolls without slipping, find the friction force.

Homework Equations


[itex]I_{Hollow Cylinder} = MR^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\sum \tau = f_{friction}R = I\alpha = MR^{2}\alpha[/itex]

[itex]\sum F = F - f_{friction} = F = Ma[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm really not sure...it seems like I have too many unknowns (R, a, alpha, friction)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so I just remembered that because its not slipping, I can change [itex]\alpha[/itex] to [itex]\frac{a}{r}[/itex]

so I get [itex]f_{friction}R = MR^{2}*\frac{a}{R}[/itex]

which cancels down to [itex]f_{friction} = Ma[/itex]

But when I plug that back into the other equation I just get F - ma = ma...

where did I go wrong?