Acceleration as derivate of velocity

In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical derivation involving velocity (v), acceleration (a), and distance (s) as functions of time (t). The chain rule is used to derive the equation a= (dv/ds)(ds/dt), which is confusing to the person asking the question. The expert explains that the chain rule can be applied if v is a function of s, and provides steps for solving the problem. However, it may not be possible to produce s as a function of t. The person asking the question confirms their understanding of the chain rule, and the expert clarifies that their explanation is correct.
mentalguy
I have problem understanding the following derivation:

a = dv/dt
v= ds/dt
(i get this part)

but then,

a = (dv/ds)(ds/dt)

I can't understand the above equation? Please can you tell me how 'a' gets that value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done a section on calculus called the chain rule?

This, btw, is a mathematics question.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Have you done a section on calculus called the chain rule?

This, btw, is a mathematics question.

Zz.

yes i know the chain rule

if y=f(g(x)) then dy/dx = df/dg * dg/dx

but confused that how is that applied here?

s(t) (distance moved) and v(t) (speed) are are both functions of t. You can then think of v as a function of t. (For each s, find the corresponding t, then find v(t) for that t.) So dv/ds is defined and by the chain rule, a= dv/dt= (dv/ds)(ds/dt).

mentalguy said:
yes i know the chain rule

if y=f(g(x)) then dy/dx = df/dg * dg/dx

but confused that how is that applied here?

I don't understand the problem here.

To be able to write that chain rule, it means that you have a function v(s). Thus, since a = dv/dt, use the chain rule to write

a= dv/ds * ds/dt.

Zz.

What i am saying is that there is a function that v(s(t)) [v is a function of s which is a function of t]

So in that case, when chain rule is applied i get a= dv/ds * ds/t

Am i right in my thinking ?

Last edited:
If s is a function of t, then v(t) = ds/dt, and a = dv/dt = d(ds/dt)/dt = d(ds)/(dt)^2.

In the case where a is a function of s, then multiplying dv/dt by ds/ds can be used to solve the problem (if the produced integrals are solvable). The first step is to produce an equation that can be integrated (don't forget to include the constant of integration after doing the integration):

a(s) = (dv/dt)(ds/ds) = (ds/dt)(dv/ds) = v dv/ds
a(s) ds = v dv

v dv = a(s) ds

1/2 v^2 = integral(a(s) ds) + constant
v = ± sqrt(2 (integral(a(s) ds) + constant))

Assuming (a(s) ds) can be integrated, the next integration step:

define v(s) = ± sqrt(2 (integral(a(s) ds) + constant))
v(s) = ds/dt
dt = ds/v(s)
t = integral(ds/v(s)) + constant)

Even if (ds / v(s)) can be integrated, it may not be possible to invert the equation to produce s as a function of t.

Last edited:
mentalguy said:
What i am saying is that there is a function that v(s(t)) [v is a function of s which is a function of t]

So in that case, when chain rule is applied i get a= dv/ds * ds/t

Am i right in my thinking ?

I'm utterly puzzled here. Isn't that what I actually wrote (minus the "/t" in your post, which I assumed is a typo of "/dt")?

Zz.

1. What is acceleration as a derivative of velocity?

Acceleration as a derivative of velocity is a concept in physics that describes the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a measure of how fast an object is speeding up or slowing down.

2. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is related to velocity through the derivative function, which calculates the slope of the velocity curve at any given point. This slope represents the rate of change of velocity, or acceleration, at that point.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are both measurements of an object's motion, but they are different concepts. Velocity describes an object's speed and direction, while acceleration describes how the velocity is changing over time.

4. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can also be represented as the derivative of velocity with respect to time.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration as a derivative of velocity?

Some real-life examples of acceleration as a derivative of velocity include a car accelerating from a stop, a roller coaster going down a hill, and a person jumping off a diving board. In each of these cases, the velocity of the object is changing, resulting in acceleration.