Acceleration due to solar radiation pressure

In summary, the question asks about the acceleration of an interplanetary sailplane with a mass of 1g/m2 and negligible other weight due to solar radiation pressure. The suggested approach is to use the formula F=ma and relate the power of the available solar flux to the change in kinetic energy of the sailplane per unit time. This can be further researched by looking into the reflection of solar wind off solar sails for solar thrust.
golfingboy07
Q: Near the Earth the flux of the EM energy from the sun is ~ 1.4 kW/m2. If an interplanetary sailplane has a sail of mass 1g/m2 and negligible other weight, what would be its acceleration due to solar radiation pressure?

Help! I am a stuck on this. However, I have a few thoughts:

We know that F = ma, since we know the mass and can solve for the Force we can find the acceleration. But, finding the Force is a little tricky. Could we just (maybe) intergrate the stress tensor?? If so, I am a little unsure as to how I would go about doing this

Thanks,

GM

Physics news on Phys.org
I havn't done anything on this topic at all. But my guess is there must be some formula that you can use that incorperates kw/m2 and g/m2

Well, a power is a change in energy per unit time. Maybe try relating the power of the available solar flux to the change in KE of the sailship per unit time. Sailplane? Sailcapsule? Sailwhatever.

Here is a diagram that should help:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060807.html

EDIT -- There may be a factor of 2 buried in the final answer, BTW. I seem to remember that the solar wind is reflected off solar sails to generate the solar thrust. But, I'm not sure about that. What do you get when you try googling this stuff?

Last edited:

1. What is acceleration due to solar radiation pressure?

Acceleration due to solar radiation pressure is the force exerted on an object by the radiation from the sun. This force causes the object to accelerate in the direction away from the sun.

2. How is acceleration due to solar radiation pressure calculated?

The calculation for acceleration due to solar radiation pressure involves multiplying the radiation flux (energy per unit area) from the sun by the area of the object and dividing by the mass of the object. This equation is represented as a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force from solar radiation pressure, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What factors can affect acceleration due to solar radiation pressure?

The acceleration due to solar radiation pressure can be affected by the size, shape, and material of the object, as well as the distance from the sun, the intensity of solar radiation, and the angle at which the radiation hits the object.

4. How does acceleration due to solar radiation pressure impact spacecraft?

Acceleration due to solar radiation pressure can have both positive and negative impacts on spacecraft. On one hand, it can provide a small amount of thrust, which can be used for trajectory adjustments. On the other hand, it can also cause destabilization and potentially damage sensitive equipment.

5. Can acceleration due to solar radiation pressure be used for propulsion?

While the force from solar radiation pressure is relatively weak, it has been used for propulsion in some cases. This method, known as solar sailing, involves using large reflective sails to capture solar radiation and generate thrust. However, it is not a commonly used form of propulsion due to its low acceleration and dependence on solar radiation.