Acceleration in terms of displacement and time

In summary, acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time and is a vector quantity. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time or displacement. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t and it is typically measured in meters per second squared or feet per second squared. Real-life examples of acceleration include a car accelerating, a roller coaster accelerating, and a person jumping and landing. Basically, acceleration is present whenever an object's speed changes over time.
grscott_2000
I have the following values

Sx = 0.1m
t = 1.5 x 10^-2 s

I want to find acceleration. I know that

t = sqrt(2 * (Sx / Ax))

Would I be right in saying that

Ax = (2 x Sx)/t^2

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
That's certainly correct. (assuming you meant that one x as multiplication)

for your question. I can confirm that your understanding and calculations are correct. Acceleration can be defined as the rate of change of velocity over time, and can also be expressed in terms of displacement and time. In this case, the formula you have used is the correct one to find acceleration (Ax) given the values of displacement (Sx) and time (t). As long as the units are consistent (m for displacement and s for time), your calculated value for acceleration will also be in the correct units (m/s^2). Keep up the good work in your scientific studies!

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has direction as well as magnitude.

How is acceleration related to displacement and time?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. In terms of displacement, acceleration is equal to the change in velocity divided by the change in displacement.

What is the formula for acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the English system.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some examples of acceleration in everyday life include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a roller coaster accelerating down a hill, or a person jumping and then landing on the ground. Essentially, any time an object's speed changes over time, acceleration is present.