1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of a fluid particle

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    1. The velocity vector which describes the motion of a particle (point) in a fluid is [tex] \vec {u} = \vec {u}(\vec{x},t), [/tex] so that the particle follows the path on which [tex] \frac {dx}{dt}=\vec{U}(t)=\vec{u}[\vec{x}(t),t]. [/tex]
    Write [tex] \vec{x}\equiv (x,y,z) [/tex] and [tex] \vec{u} \equiv (u,v,w) [/tex] (in rectangular Cartesian coordinates), and hence show that the acceleration of the particle is [tex] \frac {d\vec{U}}{dt} = \frac {\partial \vec{u}}{\partial t} + (\vec {u} . \nabla) \vec {u} \equiv \frac {D\vec {u}}{Dt} [/tex], the material derivative

2. Relevant equations

Acceleration of particle = [tex] \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = \frac {dU}{dt}=\frac{du}{dt}[\frac {\partial x}{\partial t}, \frac {\partial y}{\partial t}, \frac {\partial z}{\partial t}, 1] [/tex]

[tex](\vec{u}.\nabla)\vec{u} = uu_x\vec{i} + uv_x\vec{j} + uw_z\vec{k} + vu_y\vec{i} + vv_y \vec{j} + vw_y \vec {k} + wu_z \vec{i} + wv_z \vec{j} + ww_z \vec {k} [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2
  4. May 30, 2010 #3
    Got it! Thanks..

5. Jun 16, 2010 #4
    Wait! The total derivative. How does that help ?

[tex] \frac {dU}{dt} = \frac {\partial U}{\partial t} + \frac {\partial U}{\partial x} \frac {dx}{dt} + \frac {\partial U}{\partial t} \frac {dt}{dt} [/tex]

6. Jun 16, 2010 #5
    This isn't the total derivative, this is:

[tex]\frac{dU}{dt}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}+\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}+\frac{dz}{dt}\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}[/tex]

Note that the last three terms look like:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{\partial }{\partial x}+\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{\partial }{\partial y}+\frac{dz}{dt}\frac{\partial }{\partial z}=u_x\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+u_y\frac{\partial}{\partial y}+u_z\frac{\partial}{\partial z}=\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla[/tex]

Which is what you're looking for:

[tex]\frac{dU}{dt}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}+\left(\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla\right)u[/tex]

This last formula is also called the convective derivative or the material derivative.

7. Jun 16, 2010 #6
    Very helpful thank you. Just one quick question. Why does U become u in your total derivative expressions. Thanks again.

8. Jun 16, 2010 #7
    Because you have [itex]U(t)[/itex] defined as [itex]U(t)=u\left[x(t),t\right][/itex] in the problem. If [itex]U(t)[/itex] is only a function of [itex]t[/itex], then [itex]\left(\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla\right)u=0[/itex] and [itex]dU/dt=\partial U/\partial t[/itex], which is not what you want for this problem.

Glad I can help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook