Acceleration of fluid particle

In summary: You're absolutely right, I was indeed wrong. I must have misread the notation or something. Many thanks for the help.
sa1988

Homework Statement

Find acceleration for a general point (x, y) at time t, in the velocity field u = (y, t-x)

Homework Equations

Du/Dt = ∂u/∂t + (u⋅∇)u

The Attempt at a Solution

u/∂t = (0, 1)

(u⋅∇)u = [(y, t-x)⋅(∂/∂x, ∂/∂y)](y, t-x)

= (0 + 0)(y, t-x) = (0, 0)

Thus Du/Dt = ∂u/∂t + (u⋅∇)u = (0, 1) + (0, 0)

= (0, 1)

It seems correct but my lecturer has given a different example, for a different problem, in which he draws out the entire process (presumably for the sake of letting students follow every tiny step) but I think there are typos in his work and it's really confusing things for me. So I've stuck with what I believe to be correct, but would like to run it by you guys to see if things are all ok.

Thanks!

For reference, my lecturer's example is here - http://www1.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~kersale/2620/Examples/sol1.pdf - The part on the final page.

It looks like he's written ∂/∂x in far too many places...?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, what your lecturer did is correct. Perhaps what you are missing is that [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\nabla[/itex], with [itex]\vec{u}= u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}[/itex] is equal to [itex]u\frac{\partial }{\partial x}+ v\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex] and that, being a scalar operator "multiplied" by [itex]\vec{u}= u\vec{I}+ v\vec{j}[/itex] is "multiplied" by both u and v: [tex](\vec{u}\cdot\nabla)\vec{u}= \left(\vec{u}\cdot\nabla(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j})\right)+ \left(\vec{v}\cdot\nabla(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j})\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \left(u\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+ u\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)+ \left(v\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+ v\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)+ \left(u\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}+ u\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\right)+ \left(v\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}+ v\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\right)[/tex].

Likes sa1988
HallsofIvy said:
No, what your lecturer did is correct. Perhaps what you are missing is that [itex]\vec{u}\cdot\nabla[/itex], with [itex]\vec{u}= u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}[/itex] is equal to [itex]u\frac{\partial }{\partial x}+ v\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex] and that, being a scalar operator "multiplied" by [itex]\vec{u}= u\vec{I}+ v\vec{j}[/itex] is "multiplied" by both u and v: [tex](\vec{u}\cdot\nabla)\vec{u}= \left(\vec{u}\cdot\nabla(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j})\right)+ \left(\vec{v}\cdot\nabla(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j})\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \left(u\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+ u\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)+ \left(v\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+ v\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)+ \left(u\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}+ u\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\right)+ \left(v\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}+ v\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\right)[/tex].

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a little confused though. I can't see how you get this bit:

[tex](\vec{u}\cdot\nabla)\vec{u}= \left(\vec{u}\cdot\nabla(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j})\right)+ \left(\vec{v}\cdot\nabla(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j})\right)[/tex]And, regarding the the final result:

[tex]= \left(u\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+ u\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)+ \left(v\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+ v\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)+ \left(u\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}+ u\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\right)+ \left(v\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}+ v\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\right)[/tex]

Is there a way of writing that in vector form?

One thing I did notice is that I messed up by forgetting that in (u⋅∇) , ∂/∂x is not commutative, so I was doing (∇⋅u)u, which is different.

So now I'm getting

(u⋅∇)u = (ux, uu)⋅(∂/∂x, ∂/∂y) (ux + uy)
= (ux∂/∂x + uy∂/∂y) (ux + uy)
= (ux∂(ux)/∂x + ux∂(uy)/∂x + uy∂(ux)/∂y + uy∂(uy)/∂y)

Which I then apply to the given velocity field u = (y, t-x), to get:

Du/Dt = ∂u/∂t + (u⋅∇)u

= (0, 1) + (y ∂/∂x + (t-x) ∂/∂y) * (y, t-x)
= (0, 1) + (y ∂(y)/∂x + (t-x)∂(y)/∂y, y ∂(t-x)/∂x + (t-x)∂(t-x)/∂y)
= (0, 1) + ( 0 + t-x , -y + 0)

= (t-x, 1-y)

Have I gone wrong here?

I've found this on wikipedia, which seems to reflect the same process I've just used:

538885b73da17a0e7211a97108354461.png

Thanks.

HallsofIvy said:

Something's gone wrong here. If [itex]\mathbf{u} = (u,v)[/itex] with respect to cartesian coordinates [itex](x,y)[/itex] then indeed [tex]\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla = u \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + v \frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/tex] but [tex]
(\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla)\mathbf{u} = \left( u \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + v \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}, u \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} + v \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \right)[/tex] and hence [tex]
\frac{D\mathbf{u}}{Dt} = \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + u \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + v \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial v}{\partial t} + u \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} + v \frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \right).[/tex]

Likes sa1988

What is acceleration of fluid particle?

The acceleration of fluid particle refers to the rate of change of velocity of a fluid particle over time. It is a measure of how quickly the speed or direction of the particle changes.

What causes acceleration in fluid particles?

Acceleration in fluid particles is primarily caused by forces acting on the particles, such as gravity, pressure, and viscosity. These forces can either increase or decrease the speed or direction of the particle, resulting in acceleration.

How is acceleration of fluid particle measured?

The acceleration of fluid particles can be measured using the equation a = dv/dt, where a is the acceleration, dv is the change in velocity, and dt is the change in time. This can be measured using instruments such as accelerometers or by analyzing fluid flow data.

Can acceleration of fluid particles change over time?

Yes, the acceleration of fluid particles can change over time. This can be due to changes in the forces acting on the particles, changes in the properties of the fluid, or changes in the flow conditions.

What are the applications of studying acceleration of fluid particles?

Understanding the acceleration of fluid particles is important in many fields, including fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and hydrodynamics. It can help in designing efficient and safe transportation systems, predicting weather patterns, and developing technologies for energy production and distribution.