Acceleration on a curve [kinematics]

In summary, the problem concerns the tilting or flipping of a car on a circular track while accelerating. The question is how the car can tilt outward when the centripetal force is pointing inward. The suggested solution involves calculating the total moment about the tire and finding that the side force should point outside the circle based on the assumption that the normal force is equal to zero.
boogaaaaa

Homework Statement

a car is moving forward at 60 km/h [E 45° N], executes a turn and is now moving at 35 km/h [N 80° W]. If the turn takes 8 seconds to complete the turn what is the average acceleration of the car in m/s?

Homework Equations

v2 = v1 + a(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

v2 = 35
v1 = 60
t = 8
a = ?

v2 = v1+ a(t)

35km/h = 9.72 m/s
60km/h = 16.6 m/s

35 = 60 + a(8)
35-60 = 8a
a= -3.125m/s

i'm not sure if its right, because don't you accelerate positively when you change direction

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
boogaaaaa said:

Homework Statement

a car is moving forward at 60 km/h [E 45° N], executes a turn and is now moving at 35 km/h [N 80° W]. If the turn takes 8 seconds to complete the turn what is the average acceleration of the car in m/s?

Homework Equations

v2 = v1 + a(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

v2 = 35
v1 = 60
t = 8
a = ?

v2 = v1+ a(t)

35km/h = 9.72 m/s
60km/h = 16.6 m/s

35 = 60 + a(8)
35-60 = 8a
a= -3.125m/s

i'm not sure if its right, because don't you accelerate positively when you change direction

Welcome to PF.

Remember velocity is a vector. As is acceleration. So ... that means that you might do better to resolve the velocities into their components and then figure the change in velocity by x,y to determine the direction and angle of the average change over the 8 seconds.

ok well based on what you said: split into x and y and find average i came up with this diagram:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3949/diagram.jpg

I used the previous values (60), (35) to create the x and y for the purple triangle and finally finding the average speed represented by the "?", i then divided that value by the time (8 seconds) and got my answer. Was my method correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
boogaaaaa said:
ok well based on what you said: split into x and y and find average i came up with this diagram:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3949/diagram.jpg

I used the previous values (60), (35) to create the x and y for the purple triangle and finally finding the average speed represented by the "?", i then divided that value by the time (8 seconds) and got my answer. Was my method correct?

I prefer to do it algebraically.

Vi = Vix + Viy

Vi = |Vi|*Cosθ x + |Vi|*Sinθ y

As to your drawing ...

You want to keep in mind that

a = ΔV/Δt

where

ΔV = Vf - Vi

alright thank you, solved :D

Hi guys,

I have similar problem with boogaaaa.

As we know, if a car accelerate on curve at certain speed, it will tilt outside the circle track. So i sketch this 2 picture to show how it works.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2323/66057246.jpg
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9272/96495741.jpg

I just wondering, how can the car tilt or flip outside the circle track if the side force (centripetal force) is pointing inside the circle?

My suggestion:
Total Moment about tyre (2); ∑M2=0

So, Fs*h + G*b/2 - FN1*b = 0

I assume that FN1=0 since the car is about to tilt. So here come the problem.

Fs = - G*b / 2h.

The minus sign shows that the side force, Fs, should point outside the circle.

can anyone help me?

1. What is acceleration on a curve?

Acceleration on a curve, also known as centripetal acceleration, is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes as it moves along a curved path. It is always directed towards the center of the curve and is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion.

2. How is acceleration on a curve calculated?

The formula for calculating acceleration on a curve is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the curve. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using a = ω^2r, where ω is the angular velocity of the object.

3. What is the difference between centripetal and tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the curve, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent to the curve. Centripetal acceleration is responsible for changing the direction of motion, while tangential acceleration changes the speed of the object.

4. How does acceleration on a curve affect the motion of an object?

Acceleration on a curve affects the motion of an object by constantly changing the direction of its velocity, causing it to move in a circular path. This acceleration is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion and prevents it from moving in a straight line.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration on a curve?

Some common examples of acceleration on a curve include a car turning around a curve, a rollercoaster moving along a loop, a planet orbiting around the sun, and a satellite orbiting around Earth. Any object moving in a circular path experiences acceleration on a curve.