Motion and Forces [High School]

In summary, Mariana is volleying with Old Man Miller and returns one of his feeble tennis serves with a velocity of 55km/h [Backward]. The ball spends 0.075 seconds in contact with the racquet and has a mass of 0.060kg. Based on Netwon's third law, the force acting on the ball is 20N [Backward]. As for the force applied by the ball on the racquet, it would also be 20N [forward] according to Netwon's third law.
Liam C

Homework Statement

Mariana is volleying with Old Man Miller and returns one of his feeble tennis serves. He serves the ball such that it is moving at a speed of 35km/h [Forward] when she strikes the 0.060kg ball and sends it back over the net at a velocity of 55km/h[Backward].

a) If the ball spends 0.075 seconds in contact with the racquet determine the force acting on the ball.
b) What was the force applied by the ball on the racquet during the stroke?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
I’m assuming it’s talking about Mariana’s stroke:
V1 = 35/3.6 m/s = 9.72m/s
V2 = -55/3.6 m/s = -15.28m/s
t = 0.075s
m = 0.060kg

a = V2 - V1 / t
a = -15.28 - 9.72 / 0.075
a = -333m/s^2
ΣF = ma
ΣF = (0.060)(-333)
ΣF = -20N
∴ The force acting on the ball was 20N [Backward]
Is it asking for a net force and is that what I provided?

b)
I have no idea how to find the force applied by the ball. If it is horizontal motion then isn’t the motion uniform? How do I find the force of an object moving uniformly? I’d like some help approaching this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Liam C said:
b)
I have no idea how to find the force applied by the ball. If it is horizontal motion then isn’t the motion uniform? How do I find the force of an object moving uniformly? I’d like some help approaching this question.

How many of Netwon's laws do you know?

PeroK said:
How many of Netwon's laws do you know?
My teacher taught us the first two and gave us a homework sheet with a bunch questions like this for March break.

Likes PeroK

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to change its speed, direction, or both. If an object is moving in a straight line, an unbalanced force acting on it will cause it to accelerate or decelerate. If an object is already moving in a curved path, a force can cause it to change its direction.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

4. How is force calculated?

Force is calculated using the equation F=ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. Force is measured in Newtons (N), which is equal to 1 kg*m/s^2.

5. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a greater force will result in a greater acceleration, and a greater mass will result in a smaller acceleration.