Acceleration on a ramp with coefficient of friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
reganw
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
What is the acceleration of a 25kg block sliding down a ramp at 30 degrees to the horizontal, if the coefficient of friction is 0.3?

ans= 2.4m/s2



I haven't done this in a while.. I can't remember how to apply the coefficient of friction..

Thank you!

PLEASE DISREGARD.. I've figured it out now
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you make a free body diagram? Choose your axes along the incline and perpendicular to it. The forced perpendicular must balance.

The force of friction = the coefficient of friction times the normal force.
 
Berko said:
Did you make a free body diagram? Choose your axes along the incline and perpendicular to it. The forced perpendicular must balance.

The force of friction = the coefficient of friction times the normal force.

I did make the free body diagram.. but I get to the end and find the acceleration and still haven't applied the coefficient of friction because I haven't used the equation for Force of friction..
 
Nevermind, I've figured it out now.. thank you
 
Last edited: