Acceleration problem and distance

In summary, Fred and Wilma leave their house at the same time heading for the bus stop 100m away. Fred starts at rest, accelerates at 0.500 m/s^2 up to a maximum speed of 5.00m/s, which he holds as he runs for the bus stop. Wilma gives Fred a 5.00 second head start and then accelerates for 6.00 seconds up to her maximum speed of 6.00m/s. Fred arrives at the bus stop first, but they both wait for the other person to arrive before going on their way.
1irishman

Homework Statement

Fred and Wilma leave their house at the same time heading for the bus stop 100m away. Fred starts at rest, accelerates at 0.500 m/s^2 up to a maximum speed of 5.00m/s, which he holds as he runs for the bus stop. Wilma gives Fred a 5.00 second head start and then accelerates for 6.00 seconds up to her maximum speed of 6.00m/s. Who gets to the bus stop first, and how long do they wait for the second person to arrive?

Homework Equations

v=d/t
d=vit + 1/2 at^2
vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

i have Fred accelerates for 10 seconds. and in 10 seconds he covered a distance of 25m. plus his acceleration distance of 6.25m = 31.25m total. 100m minus 31.25m is 68.75m remaining distance at constant speed so t=d/v so 68.75/5 = 13.75 s plus 11 seconds is 24.75. The answer in the book for Fred's time says 25seconds and the answer in the book for Wilma says 24.7seconds. Am i right here? It feels like I'm getting closer to the answer unless I've already got it?

Physics news on Phys.org
1irishman said:

Homework Statement

Fred and Wilma leave their house at the same time heading for the bus stop 100m away. Fred starts at rest, accelerates at 0.500 m/s^2 up to a maximum speed of 5.00m/s, which he holds as he runs for the bus stop. Wilma gives Fred a 5.00 second head start and then accelerates for 6.00 seconds up to her maximum speed of 6.00m/s. Who gets to the bus stop first, and how long do they wait for the second person to arrive?

Homework Equations

v=d/t
d=vit + 1/2 at^2
vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

i have Fred accelerates for 10 seconds. and in 10 seconds he covered a distance of 25m. plus his acceleration distance of 6.25m = 31.25m total.
Why are you adding 6.25 m? You have already determined his acceleration distance is 25m.

100m minus 31.25m is 68.75m remaining distance at constant speed so t=d/v so 68.75/5 = 13.75 s plus 11 seconds is 24.75. The answer in the book for Fred's time says 25seconds and the answer in the book for Wilma says 24.7seconds. Am i right here? It feels like I'm getting closer to the answer unless I've already got it?
The answer in the book is right.

AM

Fred's acceleration distance is 25metres. So i got 100m-25m=75m left for Fred plugged into t=d/v=75/5=15 seconds plus 11seconds equals 26seconds. Why am i one second off the correct answer of 25seconds? Please help? thanks.

1irishman said:
Fred's acceleration distance is 25metres. So i got 100m-25m=75m left for Fred plugged into t=d/v=75/5=15 seconds plus 11seconds equals 26seconds. Why am i one second off the correct answer of 25seconds? Please help? thanks.
How do you get 11 seconds? What is [itex]\Delta t[/itex] in terms of [itex]\Delta v[/itex] and a?

AM

I can't solve this...please give me more hints?

1irishman said:
I can't solve this...please give me more hints?
Explain how you get 11 seconds.

If [itex]a = \Delta v /\Delta t[/itex] and a = .5 m/s^2, vf = 5 m/s and vi = 0 you should be able to work out the time. It is not 11 seconds.

AM

okay...i have t=10s for Fred to accelerate, and 15s at constant speed for Fred total time is 25seconds. Is that right for Fred?
-------------------
For Wilma I have 13.7s at constant speed plus 11seconds to include acceleration time is 24.7seconds. Is that right for Wilma?

1irishman said:
okay...i have t=10s for Fred to accelerate, and 15s at constant speed for Fred total time is 25seconds. Is that right for Fred?
-------------------
For Wilma I have 13.7s at constant speed plus 11seconds to include acceleration time is 24.7seconds. Is that right for Wilma?
Your book says that is the right answer.

AM

What is acceleration and how is it related to distance?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is related to distance through the formula d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed. This formula shows that the distance traveled is directly proportional to the square of the time elapsed, and also depends on the initial velocity and acceleration.

How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2). It can also be measured in units of g-force, which is a multiple of the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a certain time period, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be found by dividing the change in velocity by the time elapsed, while instantaneous acceleration can be found by taking the derivative of the velocity function.

How does acceleration affect the distance an object travels?

Acceleration directly affects the distance an object travels. The greater the acceleration, the greater the change in velocity and therefore the greater the distance traveled. Also, acceleration can change the direction of an object's motion, which can also affect the distance traveled.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration and distance?

Some real-life examples of acceleration and distance include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a ball being thrown into the air, and a roller coaster going down a steep drop. In all these cases, the acceleration of the object directly affects the distance it travels.