Velocity and Acceleration Equational Problem ( making sense)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the position of a man running at a constant speed to catch a bus that is accelerating. The man's position is given by the equation x(t) = x0 + ut+(1/2)at2, where x0 is the initial position, u is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. In this problem, the man's initial position is -b, his initial velocity is c, and the acceleration is 0. Therefore, the equation becomes xman(t) = -b + ct, which is the solution given in the book. The conversation also mentions the confusion between using the velocity equation and the displacement equation, which is clarified by setting the acceleration to 0
zippeh

Homework Statement

A man is running at speed c (much less than the speed of light) to catch a bus already at a stop. At t=0, when he is a distance b from the door to the bus, the bus starts moving with the positive acceleration a. Use a coordinate system with x=0 at the door of the stopped bus.

Part A:
What is xman(t), the position of the man as a function of time?
Answer symbolically in terms of the variables b, c, and t.

Homework Equations

v(t) = V0+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to use this equation:

v(t) = V0+at

But I am confused because the answer is: xman(t) = -b+ct. This doesn't make sense to me because in order to use this equation, c would need to be the acceleration, not the velocity. I tried reviewing the book and it really doesn't help. I know that the mans speed is constant, but with an acceleration c, wouldn't his velocity increase in time?

Sorry if this is a simple question, I just am trying to understand the foundations so that I can better apply myself later in the course. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
zippeh said:

Homework Statement

A man is running at speed c (much less than the speed of light) to catch a bus already at a stop. At t=0, when he is a distance b from the door to the bus, the bus starts moving with the positive acceleration a. Use a coordinate system with x=0 at the door of the stopped bus.

Part A:
What is xman(t), the position of the man as a function of time?
Answer symbolically in terms of the variables b, c, and t.

Homework Equations

v(t) = V0+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to use this equation:

v(t) = V0+at

But I am confused because the answer is: xman(t) = -b+ct. This doesn't make sense to me because in order to use this equation, c would need to be the acceleration, not the velocity. I tried reviewing the book and it really doesn't help. I know that the mans speed is constant, but with an acceleration c, wouldn't his velocity increase in time?

Sorry if this is a simple question, I just am trying to understand the foundations so that I can better apply myself later in the course. Thank you for your time.

Welcome to PF!

If you are asked to find displacement , why should you be using equation for finding velocity .

You need to use the equation x(t) = x0 + ut+(1/2)at2 .

Here x0 = -b , u=c , a=0 .

Does that make sense ?

Oh wow... thanks!

I was looking through the equations that I know, and I couldn't arrive at the answer with anything that I had (so I thought). I immediately looked for an equation that looked similar to the answer, which was what I gave above. Thanks for making it clear, I didn't really ever think to set accel. to 0, which was what was made me stuck. I appreciate you helping me! :)

You are welcome :)

You are correct in your confusion. The given answer, xman(t) = -b+ct, does not make sense. In order to use the equation v(t) = V0+at, c would need to be the acceleration, not the velocity. It is likely a typo or error in the problem. The correct answer should be xman(t) = b+ct, where b is the initial distance between the man and the door of the bus and c is the constant speed of the man.

To further explain, the equation v(t) = V0+at is used to calculate the velocity at a given time t, given an initial velocity V0 and a constant acceleration a. In this problem, the man's velocity is constant, so the equation would not be used to find his position as a function of time.

Instead, we can use the equation x(t) = x0+V0t+1/2at^2, where x0 is the initial position, V0 is the initial velocity, and a is the constant acceleration. In this case, x0 = b, V0 = c, and a = 0 (since the man's velocity is constant). Plugging in these values, we get x(t) = b+ct, which is the correct answer.

It's important to always check the equations and units when solving problems to make sure they make sense and are used correctly. Good job on catching the error and seeking clarification. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It has both magnitude (speed) and direction. Acceleration, on the other hand, is also a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is the change in velocity over time.

2. How do you calculate velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. Both are typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity/acceleration?

Average velocity/acceleration is calculated by dividing the total change in position/velocity by the total change in time. Instantaneous velocity/acceleration, on the other hand, is the velocity/acceleration at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the limit of the average velocity/acceleration as the time interval approaches zero.

4. Can velocity and acceleration be negative?

Yes, both velocity and acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction, which is typically defined as the direction of motion. Negative velocity indicates motion in the negative direction, while negative acceleration indicates a decrease in velocity.

5. How do you interpret a velocity vs. time graph and an acceleration vs. time graph?

A velocity vs. time graph shows how an object's velocity changes over time. The slope of the graph represents the acceleration, with a positive slope indicating positive acceleration and a negative slope indicating negative acceleration. An acceleration vs. time graph shows how an object's acceleration changes over time. The area under the graph represents the change in velocity, with a positive area indicating an increase in velocity and a negative area indicating a decrease in velocity.