1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration vs Time Graph in Simple Pendulum

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    can anyone please explain
    Acceleration vs Time Graph in Simple Pendulum ?
    these would be straight lines but i don't know why

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The Acceleration vs Time graph would actually be a sinusoidal curve, not a straight line. Perhaps you were thinking of acceleration vs displacement. If so; start with the general displacement-time equation for a simple pendulum, use it to find an acceleration-time equation, and compare the two.

4. Mar 20, 2010 #3
    No its not sinusoidal , see the attached image , the third graph is Acceleration vs Time of Simple Pendulum ...why these are straight lines ?
    and also see the second graph , why Velocity vs time is not sinusoidal but in Mass attached to spring it is Sinusoidal

Attached Files:

5. Mar 20, 2010 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

A simple pendulum approximately exhibits simple harmonic motion. My guess is that your graphs were just very crude approximations for the time derivative of the first graph.

6. Mar 20, 2010 #5
    what do you mean ??
    please just explain the 3rd graph

7. Mar 20, 2010 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

What is there I am meant to explain. I'm telling you it's not correct. How much thought have you even put into this? Do you understand that velocity and acceleration are the first and second time derivatives of displacement respectively. Do the graphs you drew reflect that?

8. Mar 20, 2010 #7
    So can you show the correct Graph please ??

and in this image can you tell me where the velocity,acceleration is zero and where it is maximum

http://www.educationalelectronicsusa.com/p/images/wep-4.gif

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook