• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Acceleration vs Time Graph in Simple Pendulum

• Thread starter XuFyaN
  • Start date
can anyone please explain
Acceleration vs Time Graph in Simple Pendulum ?
these would be straight lines but i don't know why

Gib Z

Homework Helper
The Acceleration vs Time graph would actually be a sinusoidal curve, not a straight line. Perhaps you were thinking of acceleration vs displacement. If so; start with the general displacement-time equation for a simple pendulum, use it to find an acceleration-time equation, and compare the two.

No its not sinusoidal , see the attached image , the third graph is Acceleration vs Time of Simple Pendulum ...why these are straight lines ?
and also see the second graph , why Velocity vs time is not sinusoidal but in Mass attached to spring it is Sinusoidal

Attachments

Gib Z

Homework Helper
A simple pendulum approximately exhibits simple harmonic motion. My guess is that your graphs were just very crude approximations for the time derivative of the first graph.

what do you mean ??
please just explain the 3rd graph

Gib Z

Homework Helper
What is there I am meant to explain. I'm telling you it's not correct. How much thought have you even put into this? Do you understand that velocity and acceleration are the first and second time derivatives of displacement respectively. Do the graphs you drew reflect that?

So can you show the correct Graph please ??

and in this image can you tell me where the velocity,acceleration is zero and where it is maximum

http://www.educationalelectronicsusa.com/p/images/wep-4.gif

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving