Accepted to Berkeley but I feel unworthy

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Berkeley
In summary, the conversation discusses the release of admissions for transfer students from California community colleges for UCLA and UCB. The speaker was rejected from UCLA but accepted to UCB as a chemical engineering major. They express concern about being able to compete at UCB and potentially having a low GPA. Others in the conversation offer congratulations and reassurance that if they were accepted, they can handle it and succeed with hard work. They also recommend reading an essay on success at Berkeley for disadvantaged students.
member 392791
So yesterday the admissions for transfer students from california community colleges were released for UCLA and UCB. I got rejected from UCLA but accepted to UCB.

I am a chemical engineering major, and two schools I got into that I cared about were UCSB and UCB. I am afraid though that if I go to Berkeley I won't be able to compete, since I am fully aware that being a "big fish in a little pond" at a community college doesn't mean anything there. It's hard to imagine how I got accepted, given that the questions I ask on this forum for physics are fairly basic.

Both schools are good for my major, UCSB is #8 in the country and UCB is #2. Do I just go for it and go to Berkeley?

My main worry is that my GPA will be really bad at Berkeley since the level of competition will be so high

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! Well I just wanted to say congratulations! Berkeley is an insanely awesome school especially for chemistry, math, and physics. If money and commute aren't issues, I would be hard pressed to find a reason to turn down Berkeley. If I hadn't gotten rejected from Berkeley myself for freshman admissions I would have gone there in a heartbeat. Once again, congratulations :D!

Thank you! I wish I was a college freshman who knows graduate level general relativity like you though! Then the decision would be a lot easier to make

You should go. It was my dream to go to Berkeley, but I was rejected yesterday. However, I'm the opposite of you; I was accepted to UCLA (for math) but rejected by Berkeley. If you really want to go, do it! Because you could just not have the chance at all.

If it is any consolation, I'd like to ease your worries about the transition to UC. I am a California Community College student as well and I have already been taking honors math courses at a UC (via cross-enrollment) and would like to let you know not to worry that much. It is a lot harder than community college classes, but if you were accepted to Berkeley, I'm going to suppose that the CC classes were not a struggle for you. With hard work and lots of discipline, the UC classes are very manageable. I actually did not meet prerequisites for the courses and I received an A. You can do it!

Last edited:
Woopydalan said:
It's hard to imagine how I got accepted, given that the questions I ask on this forum for physics are fairly basic.
If Berkeley accepted you then certainly they think you can handle it. From what I've seen, the questions you ask here are certainly not basic. I'm not sure where you got that idea but be more confident in yourself! Good luck!

Think of it this way; other people can do it, so why can't you? Are they special? No. They're human beings just like you are.

The admissions department at Berkeley clearly thinks you are worthy, and frankly, I trust their judgement more than I trust yours. :smile:

Go, work hard, and do your best!

if they took you, you can make it, if you work hard, and take advantage of the opportunities there.

i suggest you read the essay by Uri Treisman on success at berkeley by disadvantaged students.

"studying students studying calculus".

http://www.utdanacenter.org/downloads/articles/studying_students.pdf

this concerns why students from poor preparatory schools can fail at berkeley, and how they can succeed.

1. Why do I feel unworthy even though I got accepted to Berkeley?

Feeling unworthy despite being accepted to a prestigious university like Berkeley is a common phenomenon. This may be due to imposter syndrome, where one doubts their own abilities and feels like they don't deserve their accomplishments. It could also be a result of comparing oneself to others and feeling like they don't measure up.

2. Will my feelings of unworthiness affect my performance at Berkeley?

It is possible that feeling unworthy may affect your performance at Berkeley, as it can lead to self-doubt and lack of confidence. However, it is important to remember that being accepted to Berkeley means that you have the qualifications and potential to succeed, and it is up to you to work hard and make the most of this opportunity.

3. How can I overcome my feelings of unworthiness?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to overcoming feelings of unworthiness, but some strategies that may help include acknowledging and challenging negative thoughts, focusing on your own strengths and accomplishments, seeking support from friends and family, and practicing self-care and self-compassion.

4. What resources are available at Berkeley to help with imposter syndrome or feelings of unworthiness?

Berkeley offers various resources for students to support their mental health and well-being, including counseling and psychological services, peer support groups, and workshops on topics such as imposter syndrome and self-esteem. It is also helpful to reach out to your academic advisor or professors for guidance and support.

5. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed or anxious about starting at Berkeley?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel overwhelmed or anxious about starting at a new and highly competitive university like Berkeley. It is a big transition and it is natural to have doubts and fears. Just remember that you were accepted for a reason and that it is normal to experience some challenges and setbacks along the way.