1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accepted to Berkeley but I feel unworthy

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    So yesterday the admissions for transfer students from california community colleges were released for UCLA and UCB. I got rejected from UCLA but accepted to UCB.

I am a chemical engineering major, and two schools I got into that I cared about were UCSB and UCB. I am afraid though that if I go to Berkeley I won't be able to compete, since I am fully aware that being a "big fish in a little pond" at a community college doesn't mean anything there. It's hard to imagine how I got accepted, given that the questions I ask on this forum for physics are fairly basic.

Both schools are good for my major, UCSB is #8 in the country and UCB is #2. Do I just go for it and go to Berkeley?

My main worry is that my GPA will be really bad at Berkeley since the level of competition will be so high

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Wow! Well I just wanted to say congratulations! Berkeley is an insanely awesome school especially for chemistry, math, and physics. If money and commute aren't issues, I would be hard pressed to find a reason to turn down Berkeley. If I hadn't gotten rejected from Berkeley myself for freshman admissions I would have gone there in a heartbeat. Once again, congratulations :D!

4. Apr 27, 2013 #3
    Thank you! I wish I was a college freshman who knows graduate level general relativity like you though! Then the decision would be a lot easier to make

5. Apr 27, 2013 #4
    You should go. It was my dream to go to Berkeley, but I was rejected yesterday. However, I'm the opposite of you; I was accepted to UCLA (for math) but rejected by Berkeley. If you really want to go, do it! Because you could just not have the chance at all.

6. Apr 27, 2013 #5
    If it is any consolation, I'd like to ease your worries about the transition to UC. I am a California Community College student as well and I have already been taking honors math courses at a UC (via cross-enrollment) and would like to let you know not to worry that much. It is a lot harder than community college classes, but if you were accepted to Berkeley, I'm going to suppose that the CC classes were not a struggle for you. With hard work and lots of discipline, the UC classes are very manageable. I actually did not meet prerequisites for the courses and I received an A. You can do it!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  7. Apr 27, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

If Berkeley accepted you then certainly they think you can handle it. From what I've seen, the questions you ask here are certainly not basic. I'm not sure where you got that idea but be more confident in yourself! Good luck!

8. Apr 28, 2013 #7
    Think of it this way; other people can do it, so why can't you? Are they special? No. They're human beings just like you are.

9. May 1, 2013 #8
    The admissions department at Berkeley clearly thinks you are worthy, and frankly, I trust their judgement more than I trust yours. :smile:

Go, work hard, and do your best!

10. May 1, 2013 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if they took you, you can make it, if you work hard, and take advantage of the opportunities there.

i suggest you read the essay by Uri Treisman on success at berkeley by disadvantaged students.

"studying students studying calculus".

http://www.utdanacenter.org/downloads/articles/studying_students.pdf

this concerns why students from poor preparatory schools can fail at berkeley, and how they can succeed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook