Achieving normal derivative in spheroidal coordinate

In summary, the conversation involves a question about calculating the normal derivative to the surface of an oblate spheroid in spheroidal coordinates. The solution involves using the chain rule and finding the gradient of the surface equation. The conversation also includes recommendations for basic textbooks and practical methods for finding the normal vector. The key concept is that the normal vector is always orthogonal to the tangent vector of any curve lying on the surface.
dexturelab

Homework Statement

Hi PhysicsForums,
I am calculating something related to the spheroidal membrane and want to ask you a question.

I consider a oblate spheroid (Oblate spheroidal coordinates can also be considered as a limiting case of ellipsoidal coordinates in which the two largest semi-axes are equal in length.)

In spheroidal coordinate, the relationship to Cartesian coordinates is
[tex]x=a\sqrt((1+u^2) (1-v^2))\cos(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]y=a\sqrt((1+u^2) (1-v^2))\sin(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]z=a u v[/tex]

Now, I want to know how to achieve the normal derivative to the surface of a spheroid (u = const), in terms of the derivatives of u, v and [tex]\phi[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I firstly think that the normal derivative in this case is the partial derivative to u. Because in limit cases (v =1,-1) this lead to the derivative to z.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
writing in Cartesian coordinate, the normal derivative is just
[tex]\hat{n}\cdot \nabla[/tex]However, I'm pretty sure you want to work in Oblate spheroidal coordinate, just apply the chain rule and you should be fine.More intuitively, you could consider the normal derivative as a unit tangent vector (in terms of manifold) acted on a function.
Simply write down the tangent vector and then normalize it using the metric.

Thank you tim_lou,
In fact, I am totally an amateur in this type of calculation.

So, can you please recommend me any basic textbooks or simple introductories.

For example, if I have the equation of a membrane in xyz coordinate, what can I do to get the normal vector [tex]\vec(n)[/tex].
Moreover, the chain rule seems to be rather stenuous.
Is there any different ways. I need some types in practical ways.
Is there any function in Mathematica to do that?

Thank you again.

Last edited:
to find the normal vector in xyz coordinates, take the gradient...

to be more precise, suppose you want to find the normal vector to a surface described by the set:
A={(x,y,z)| f(x,y,z)=c}

then the normal is in the direction of n=∇f(x,y,z)
to see why that is, take a curve, (x(t), y(t), z(t)) such that the curve lies in A.
Hence, f(x(t), y(t), z(t))=c and take derivative with respect to t,
∇f(x,y,z)· (x'(t), y'(t), z'(t))=0. We see that n must be always orthogonal to the derivative or any curve lying in A so we conclude n=∇f(x,y,z)

Any tangent vector (b,c,d) attached to a point in R3 can be considered as a tangent vector on the manifold, so,
(b,c,d)=b∂_x + c∂_y + d∂_z
so when you find n·∇=b∂_x + c∂_y + d∂_z, you want to express it in the basis
{∂_a, ∂_u, ∂_v}. Changing basis is a linear algebra problem and those two basis are related via Jacobian.

things simplify when the {∂_a, ∂_u, ∂_v} are orthogonal, in which case, the gradient becomes
f ∂_a + g ∂_u + h ∂_v where f,g,h are functions.

1. What is a normal derivative in spheroidal coordinate?

A normal derivative in spheroidal coordinate is a mathematical concept used in the field of fluid mechanics. It represents the rate of change of a fluid property in the direction perpendicular to the surface of a spheroid, which is a three-dimensional shape resembling an ellipse or an egg.

2. Why is achieving normal derivative important in spheroidal coordinate?

Achieving normal derivative in spheroidal coordinate is important because it allows for the accurate calculation of fluid properties, such as velocity and pressure, in complex fluid flow systems. This is particularly useful in applications such as aerodynamics, oceanography, and meteorology.

3. How is normal derivative achieved in spheroidal coordinate?

Normal derivative in spheroidal coordinate is achieved by applying the appropriate mathematical transformations to convert the spheroidal coordinate system into a Cartesian coordinate system. This allows for the use of standard derivative formulas, making it easier to calculate and analyze fluid properties.

4. What are some challenges in achieving normal derivative in spheroidal coordinate?

One of the main challenges in achieving normal derivative in spheroidal coordinate is the complexity of the mathematical transformations involved. These transformations can be difficult to understand and apply, and may require advanced mathematical knowledge. Additionally, errors in the calculation of the transformations can lead to inaccurate results.

5. Are there any real-world applications of normal derivative in spheroidal coordinate?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of normal derivative in spheroidal coordinate. For example, it is used in the design and analysis of aircraft and marine vessels to improve their aerodynamic and hydrodynamic performance. It is also used in weather forecasting models to predict the movement of air masses and ocean currents.