• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Actual Scenario Qualitative Wiring Problem

• Thread starter michael650
  • Start date
There is this one question on my physics homework that has been eluding me for quite a while. The problem itself is simple and is built upon common sense yet for some reason I can't wrap my head around it.

The problem reads that the installation instructions for connecting an outlet to the wiring of a house recommend that the wire be wrapped at least three-quarters of the way around the terminal post. It asks me to explain why someone would wrap it only three-quarters of the way around it, and I just can't find a reasonable answer.

berkeman

Mentor
There is this one question on my physics homework that has been eluding me for quite a while. The problem itself is simple and is built upon common sense yet for some reason I can't wrap my head around it.

The problem reads that the installation instructions for connecting an outlet to the wiring of a house recommend that the wire be wrapped at least three-quarters of the way around the terminal post. It asks me to explain why someone would wrap it only three-quarters of the way around it, and I just can't find a reasonable answer.
What would happen if you wrapped it more than once around?

It might help if you looked at actual sockets and wiring -- that would help you to visualize what is going on. The actual wire used is solid, and fairly big...

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=electrical+socket+wiring&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=