1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Actual value of normal reaction

1. Mar 26, 2017 #1
    I am a high school student in Hong Kong studying Physics. I am having some problems about atmospheric pressure. Imagine there is a cube block with volume 1 m3 and top surface area 1 m2 . The cube block is being placed on the floor and it has mass of 1 kg. What is the normal reaction force F acting on the block by the floor?
    Considering the free body diagram of the block, there are effectively three forces acting on it . They're the weight , F , and the force based on the atmospheric pressure on the top surface. ( Since the side surface's force canceled out each other , they're neglected) Since net force= 0 , F = mg + Area of top surface x atmospheric pressure= 1x9.81 + 1x101x1000 =101009.81 N. Is it really that large? Or my calculation is wrong? My teacher said that it includes a concept called buoyancy in this situation and it is out of our syllabus. Can anyone explain it to me ? Another alternative question I have is that what is the principle of the pressure balance ? Doesn't it measure the normal reaction force acting on it? I mean even if I didn't step on it , it should still have a large reading , right ? Or is it adjusted ? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2017 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, atmospheric pressure really does exert that great a force on the block. But it is not easy to make an 'air-tight' seal between block and surface, so usually that force is balanced (except for the small buoyant force).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted