Adding Another Time Axis to Space-Time Diagram

In summary, adding a second time axis to Einstein's space-time diagram would allow mass and energy to be measured in relation to the expanding universe.
binbots
Can we add another time axis to Einsteins space time diagram? Since space and time are one thing they can be represented by one axis. The other axis can be a cosmological constant average axis. By adding this extra term can mass and energy be measured by a time scale relative to the expanding universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
binbots said:
Can we add another time axis to Einsteins space time diagram?

Not unless you come up with a theory that uses two time dimensions. There is no such theory currently known.

binbots said:
Since space and time are one thing they can be represented by one axis.

No, they can't. Space and time are still different dimensions of spacetime, and require different axes to represent them in a diagram.

binbots said:
The other axis can be a cosmological constant average axis.

What does this mean? It doesn't make any sense to me.

If there was no quantum fluctuations in the CMB then the expansion of the universe would have been smooth. This universe would have a average energy density after 13 billion years as well .
It doesn't require 2 time dimensions. I am only separating one time into two in order to find a different value of time.

binbots said:
If there was no quantum fluctuations in the CMB then the expansion of the universe would have been smooth. This universe would have a average energy density after 13 billion years as well .

This is true, but I don't see what it has to do with the topic of this thread. If you're just looking at the difference between the actual energy density in our actual universe, as a function of position, as compared to the average, this is fine, but what does it have to do with time?

binbots said:
It doesn't require 2 time dimensions. I am only separating one time into two in order to find a different value of time.

Still doesn't make sense to me. Do you have a reference for any of this? It looks to me like a personal theory, and PF does not allow discussion of personal theories. If, OTOH, you are asking about standard cosmological models, you'll need to specify which ones and what aspects of them you are asking about.

A smooth universe would occupy a larger space-time than ours at this moment. Therefore it would be further into the future than our own. We can use this as a back drop to set a marker of time ahead of use. The more energy or mass a object has the longer it will take to get the marker. Therefore the higher the mass the further back in time an object is.
I wouldn't call this a personnel theory. I was just hoping that people who know a lot about relativity and Minkowski diagrams could tell me If it made any sense.

Then please provide a reference by PM and we can reopen the thread. As it is we are just trying to guess what you have in mind.

1. How does adding another time axis change our understanding of space-time?

Adding another time axis to a space-time diagram allows us to visualize the concept of multiple timelines or parallel universes. This can change our understanding of space-time by challenging the idea of a single, linear timeline and opening up the possibility of an infinite number of timelines coexisting.

2. Can adding another time axis help us understand time travel?

While the concept of time travel is still largely theoretical, adding another time axis can help us visualize and explore different theories and possibilities. It can also help us understand the concept of causality and how changing events in one timeline can affect other timelines.

3. How does the addition of another time axis affect the traditional space-time diagram?

The traditional space-time diagram shows the relationship between space and time, representing events as points on a two-dimensional graph. Adding another time axis adds a third dimension, allowing for a more complex representation of the relationship between time and space. It can also change the interpretation of events and their position on the diagram.

4. Are there any practical applications for adding another time axis to space-time diagrams?

While the concept of adding another time axis is primarily used in theoretical physics, it can have practical applications in fields such as astronomy and cosmology. It can also aid in understanding complex systems and phenomena, such as black holes, that involve the relationship between time and space.

5. What are the criticisms of adding another time axis to space-time diagrams?

Some critics argue that the concept of multiple time axes is purely speculative and has no scientific evidence to support it. Others argue that it is a purely mathematical construct and does not have any real-world applications. Additionally, the idea of multiple timelines or parallel universes is still a highly debated and controversial topic in the scientific community.