1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding primitive roots of unity

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was trying to figure out whether or not ##\zeta_5 + \zeta_5^2## and ##\zeta_5^2 + \zeta_5^3## were complex (where ##\zeta_5## is the fifth primitive root of unity).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##\zeta_5 + \zeta_5^2 = \cos(2\pi/5) + i\sin(2\pi/5) + (\cos(2\pi/5) + i\sin(2\pi/5))^2 = \cos(2\pi/5) + i\sin(2\pi/5) + \cos(4\pi/5) + i\sin(4\pi/5)##.

Since ##i\sin(2\pi/5)## and ##i\sin(4\pi/5)## do not cancel out each other, ##\zeta_5 + \zeta_5^2## must be complex, right?

##\zeta_5^2 + \zeta_5^3 = (\cos(2\pi/5) + i\sin(2\pi/5))^2 + (\cos(2\pi/5) + i\sin(2\pi/5))^3 = \cos(4\pi/5) + i\sin(4\pi/5) + \cos(6\pi/5) + i\sin(6\pi/5)##

But again, the complex numbers don't cancel out each other, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

draw an argand diagram!! :rolleyes:

(ie mark them out as vectors on a unit circle)

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##\bar{\zeta_n}\zeta_n = 1##, so ##\bar{\zeta_n} = 1/\zeta_n##. Suppose ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## is real. What can you deduce about r+s?

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4

When I draw a diagram, I need to go three times the angle of ##\zeta_5## for ##\zeta_5+\zeta_5^2##, and so I end up in quadrant three, right? So it is not real.

But for ##\zeta_5^2 + \zeta_5^3## or ##\zeta_5+\zeta_5^4## we need to go 2+3=1+4=5 times the angle of ##\zeta_5##, and so we will be going all the way and end up back in 1, right? So it must be real.

Do you think that's correct?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. Aug 7, 2013 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Artusartos! :smile:

I'm not sure what you're doing there (looks more like multiplication than addition :confused:).

Draw the vectors OB and OC (for ##\zeta_5^2## and ##\zeta_5^3##), and then use the parallelogram law to add them …

what do you see? :wink:

7. Aug 7, 2013 #6
    Well, that looks like it's in the second quaderant, right?

8. Aug 7, 2013 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what's in the second quadrant? :confused:

do you know the parallelogram law?

you should be seeing two vectors OB and OC, and a parallelogram with BOC on three sides​

9. Aug 7, 2013 #8
    Oh I'm sorry. I was looking at ##\zeta_5## instead of ##\zeta_5^2## and ##\zeta_5^2## instead of ##\zeta_5^3##...

So if I look at ##\zeta_5^2 + \zeta_5^3##, then it lies on the x-axis and so the sine is zero and it must be real, right?

10. Aug 7, 2013 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yup! :biggrin:

(though it worries me that you add "the sine is zero" …

i see what you mean, but it really has nothing to do with the problem, does it? :wink:)​

11. Aug 7, 2013 #10
    Thanks a lot. :smile:

But I'm not sure why it doesn't have to do with this problem. We want sine to be zero, because it is the complex term in ##\cos(2\pi/n) + i\sin(2\pi/n)##, right?

12. Aug 7, 2013 #11

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, you need an "r" there: ##r[\cos(2\pi/n) + i\sin(2\pi/n)]##.

Second, it's much simpler to say that a real number is a complex number x + iy with y = 0 …

and the x + iy form is perfect for addition (of two complex numbers), while the re (polar) form is pretty much useless! :wink:

13. Aug 7, 2013 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Seems you didn't like my hint, so I'll take it a bit further:

If ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## is real then ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \bar{\zeta_n^r}+\bar{\zeta_n^s} = 1/\zeta_n^r+1/\zeta_n^s##. Multiplying out, ##\zeta_n^{2r+s}+\zeta_n^{r+2s} = \zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \zeta_n^{r+s}(\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s)##. Can you take it from there?

14. Aug 7, 2013 #13
    Thanks. So if ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## is real, then ##r+s## must be a multiple of ##n##.

So now I should prove that ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \bar{\zeta_n^r}+\bar{\zeta_n^s}##, right?

But shouldn't we be proving the converse instead? That if ##r+s## is a multiple of ##n##, then ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## must be real?

15. Aug 7, 2013 #14

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is another solution to the equation.
    Not sure what you mean. If the sum is real then ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \overline{\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s}##, from which the above follows quickly.
    It depends. You asked whether a particular sum of powers is real. We've shown that if it is then a certain relationship holds. If the powers do not satisfy that relationship then the sum is not real. If the powers do satisfy it then, yes, there's a bit more work to do, but it's basically running the same argument backwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted