Adding primitive roots of unity

In summary: And if you want to prove th converse, you might start by assuming that the powers do not satisfy the relationship and showing that the sum is not real!)In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not the sums of powers involving the fifth primitive root of unity, ##\zeta_5##, are complex or real. The argand diagram is used to show that ##\zeta_5^2 + \zeta_5^3## must be real since it lies on the x-axis and has a sine of zero. The conversation also discusses the relationship between the powers and how it determines if the sum is real or not.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

I was trying to figure out whether or not ##\zeta_5 + \zeta_5^2## and ##\zeta_5^2 + \zeta_5^3## were complex (where ##\zeta_5## is the fifth primitive root of unity).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\zeta_5 + \zeta_5^2 = \cos(2\pi/5) + i\sin(2\pi/5) + (\cos(2\pi/5) + i\sin(2\pi/5))^2 = \cos(2\pi/5) + i\sin(2\pi/5) + \cos(4\pi/5) + i\sin(4\pi/5)##.

Since ##i\sin(2\pi/5)## and ##i\sin(4\pi/5)## do not cancel out each other, ##\zeta_5 + \zeta_5^2## must be complex, right?

##\zeta_5^2 + \zeta_5^3 = (\cos(2\pi/5) + i\sin(2\pi/5))^2 + (\cos(2\pi/5) + i\sin(2\pi/5))^3 = \cos(4\pi/5) + i\sin(4\pi/5) + \cos(6\pi/5) + i\sin(6\pi/5)##

But again, the complex numbers don't cancel out each other, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
draw an argand diagram! :rolleyes:

(ie mark them out as vectors on a unit circle)

##\bar{\zeta_n}\zeta_n = 1##, so ##\bar{\zeta_n} = 1/\zeta_n##. Suppose ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## is real. What can you deduce about r+s?

tiny-tim said:
draw an argand diagram! :rolleyes:

(ie mark them out as vectors on a unit circle)
When I draw a diagram, I need to go three times the angle of ##\zeta_5## for ##\zeta_5+\zeta_5^2##, and so I end up in quadrant three, right? So it is not real.

But for ##\zeta_5^2 + \zeta_5^3## or ##\zeta_5+\zeta_5^4## we need to go 2+3=1+4=5 times the angle of ##\zeta_5##, and so we will be going all the way and end up back in 1, right? So it must be real.

Do you think that's correct?

Last edited:
Hi Artusartos! :smile:

I'm not sure what you're doing there (looks more like multiplication than addition :confused:).

Draw the vectors OB and OC (for ##\zeta_5^2## and ##\zeta_5^3##), and then use the parallelogram law to add them …

what do you see? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Artusartos! :smile:

I'm not sure what you're doing there (looks more like multiplication than addition :confused:).

Draw the vectors OB and OC (for ##\zeta_5^2## and ##\zeta_5^3##), and then use the parallelogram law to add them …

Well, that looks like it's in the second quaderant, right?

tiny-tim said:

Artusartos said:
Well, that looks like it's in the second quaderant, right?

what's in the second quadrant? :confused:

do you know the parallelogram law?

you should be seeing two vectors OB and OC, and a parallelogram with BOC on three sides​

tiny-tim said:
what's in the second quadrant? :confused:

do you know the parallelogram law?

you should be seeing two vectors OB and OC, and a parallelogram with BOC on three sides​

Oh I'm sorry. I was looking at ##\zeta_5## instead of ##\zeta_5^2## and ##\zeta_5^2## instead of ##\zeta_5^3##...

So if I look at ##\zeta_5^2 + \zeta_5^3##, then it lies on the x-axis and so the sine is zero and it must be real, right?

Artusartos said:
So if I look at ##\zeta_5^2 + \zeta_5^3##, then it lies on the x-axis and so the sine is zero and it must be real, right?

yup! :biggrin:

(though it worries me that you add "the sine is zero" …

i see what you mean, but it really has nothing to do with the problem, does it? :wink:)​

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
yup! :biggrin:

(though it worries me that you add "the sine is zero" …

i see what you mean, but it really has nothing to do with the problem, does it? :wink:)​

Thanks a lot. :smile:

But I'm not sure why it doesn't have to do with this problem. We want sine to be zero, because it is the complex term in ##\cos(2\pi/n) + i\sin(2\pi/n)##, right?

Artusartos said:
… it is the complex term in ##\cos(2\pi/n) + i\sin(2\pi/n)##, right?

First, you need an "r" there: ##r[\cos(2\pi/n) + i\sin(2\pi/n)]##.

Second, it's much simpler to say that a real number is a complex number x + iy with y = 0 …

and the x + iy form is perfect for addition (of two complex numbers), while the re (polar) form is pretty much useless! :wink:

haruspex said:
##\bar{\zeta_n}\zeta_n = 1##, so ##\bar{\zeta_n} = 1/\zeta_n##. Suppose ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## is real. What can you deduce about r+s?
Seems you didn't like my hint, so I'll take it a bit further:

If ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## is real then ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \bar{\zeta_n^r}+\bar{\zeta_n^s} = 1/\zeta_n^r+1/\zeta_n^s##. Multiplying out, ##\zeta_n^{2r+s}+\zeta_n^{r+2s} = \zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \zeta_n^{r+s}(\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s)##. Can you take it from there?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Seems you didn't like my hint, so I'll take it a bit further:

If ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## is real then ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \bar{\zeta_n^r}+\bar{\zeta_n^s} = 1/\zeta_n^r+1/\zeta_n^s##. Multiplying out, ##\zeta_n^{2r+s}+\zeta_n^{r+2s} = \zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \zeta_n^{r+s}(\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s)##. Can you take it from there?

Thanks. So if ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## is real, then ##r+s## must be a multiple of ##n##.

So now I should prove that ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \bar{\zeta_n^r}+\bar{\zeta_n^s}##, right?

But shouldn't we be proving the converse instead? That if ##r+s## is a multiple of ##n##, then ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## must be real?

Artusartos said:
Thanks. So if ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## is real, then ##r+s## must be a multiple of ##n##.
There is another solution to the equation.
So now I should prove that ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \bar{\zeta_n^r}+\bar{\zeta_n^s}##, right?
Not sure what you mean. If the sum is real then ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s = \overline{\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s}##, from which the above follows quickly.
But shouldn't we be proving the converse instead? That if ##r+s## is a multiple of ##n##, then ##\zeta_n^r+\zeta_n^s## must be real?
It depends. You asked whether a particular sum of powers is real. We've shown that if it is then a certain relationship holds. If the powers do not satisfy that relationship then the sum is not real. If the powers do satisfy it then, yes, there's a bit more work to do, but it's basically running the same argument backwards.

Likes 1 person

1. What are primitive roots of unity?

Primitive roots of unity are complex numbers that, when raised to certain powers, result in the value of 1. These roots are important in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of periodic functions and symmetry.

2. How are primitive roots of unity added?

To add primitive roots of unity, simply add their respective powers. For example, if you have two primitive roots of unity, a and b, then a+b will be another primitive root of unity with a higher power. This follows from the properties of complex numbers and their exponents.

3. Why are primitive roots of unity useful?

Primitive roots of unity have various applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in the study of periodic functions, such as trigonometric functions, and in the analysis of symmetrical shapes and patterns. They also have applications in number theory and cryptography.

4. Are all complex numbers primitive roots of unity?

No, not all complex numbers are primitive roots of unity. In fact, there are only a finite number of primitive roots of unity, and they form a special subset of the complex numbers. They are typically represented as e^(2πik/n), where k is any integer and n is the order of the root.

5. Can I find the sum of all primitive roots of unity?

Yes, the sum of all primitive roots of unity is always equal to 0. This is because these roots are evenly spaced around the unit circle in the complex plane, and their sum will always cancel out to 0 due to their symmetric nature. This is a fundamental property of primitive roots of unity.