Adding Torque to a simple physics simulation

In summary: If the body has linear velocity ##\vec v## and angular velocity ##\vec \omega## as a result, then linear momentum is ##\vec P_f=m \vec v## and the angular momentum about the CM is ##\vec L_f=I\vec\omega##, where I is the body's moment of inertia. You know that ##\vec J=m \vec v## and ##\vec r\times \vec J=I\vec\omega## so you can solve for the linear velocity and angular velocity. In summary, it appears that you are trying to simulate a single rectangular body and are having trouble with torque and angular acceleration. While the vector representing angular acceleration is along the axis of rotation,
EricMiddleton
I am trying to simulate a single rectangular body but I am having issues with Torque. I have an angular velocity variable (AngVel) and I have my torque calculations (Torque = Vertice:cross(Impulse)) and I get the angular acceleration (AngAccel = Torque/Inertia). The problem is that, from what I have read, the angular acceleration is a vector with the direction as the axis of rotation and the magnitude is the angle, but my angular velocity is actually a euler angle. Please correct me if I am wrong in my understanding. I just need to convert the axis-angle into a regular euler angle but I can't find how to do that. Also, How do I determine how much of the implulse is added to the velocity and how much is added to the angular velocity? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are confusing and conflating various concepts.
EricMiddleton said:
The problem is that, from what I have read, the angular acceleration is a vector with the direction as the axis of rotation ...
That much is correct. The vector representing the angular acceleration is along the axis of rotation.
EricMiddleton said:
... and the magnitude is the angle ...
This is where you start diverging from what is the case. The magnitude of angular velocity is not an angle, it is the second derivative of an angle with respect to time.
EricMiddleton said:
... but my angular velocity is actually a euler angle.
An angular velocity is not an Euler angle. An angular velocity is the first derivative of an angle with respect to time. I suspect you have a question about a rotating rigid body about an axis that changes direction in which case the Euler equations of rigid body dynamics would come into play. I suspect that you don't know how to ask your question properly.
EricMiddleton said:
Also, How do I determine how much of the implulse is added to the velocity and how much is added to the angular velocity? Thanks for any help you can provide.
You conserve linear and angular momentum. If the body is initially at rest, and the body receives impulse ##\vec J## at position ##\vec r## from its center of mass, the initial linear momentum is ##\vec P_i=\vec J## and the initial angular momentum about the CM is ##\vec L_i=\vec r \times \vec J##.

1. What is torque in a physics simulation?

Torque is the rotational force applied to an object, causing it to rotate around an axis. In a physics simulation, torque is usually measured in Newton-meters (Nm) and is represented as a vector.

2. How is torque calculated in a simple physics simulation?

To calculate torque, you must multiply the force applied to an object by the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation: Torque = Force x Distance. The direction of the torque will depend on the direction of the force and the axis of rotation.

3. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

The relationship between torque and angular acceleration is described by Newton's Second Law for rotational motion: Torque = Moment of Inertia x Angular Acceleration. This means that the more torque applied to an object, the greater its angular acceleration will be.

4. How can torque be added to a simple physics simulation?

In a simple physics simulation, torque can be added by specifying the force and distance parameters in the equation Torque = Force x Distance. This can be done using programming code or through the use of a physics simulation software.

5. What are some real-life applications of torque in physics simulations?

Torque is a fundamental concept in physics and has many real-life applications. Some examples include the rotation of wheels on a vehicle, the movement of gears in a machine, and the rotation of a spinning top. In physics simulations, torque is often used to accurately model and predict the motion of these and other objects.