Addition of 2-D vectors and relative velocity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Bruce_Wayne
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A plane must fly to a destination located due north from its departure point. A gentle wind is blowing from the south-west. What direction must the plane point to reach its destination?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



http://i.minus.com/iMPPjrIF6APd.png


In situation 1 I drew the displacement if the plan was to fly due north. In situation 2 I drew the displacement if the plane was to fly north-west.

I'm not really sure, but I think that sit. 2 might be what happens if the plane wanted to reach its destination.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the geometry right, now you just need get the components to work out. Without a little more info, there's not much more we do.