Addition of bearings (Eastings/Northings)

• Thread starter CivilEngPAIN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, the problem involves finding the bearings and distance between two points, with given coordinates. The solution involves using Pythagoras and inverse tangent to calculate the angles from the east and north axis for each point. To find the bearing from point A to B, the bearings from each point can be added together. However, it is recommended to also verify the solution by drawing it out on a graph paper and measuring the angles and distance.
CivilEngPAIN

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. My problem is related to bearings, and finding the bearings between two points and their distance apart.
A= Easting 182.373, Northing 139.901
Y= Easting 200 Northing 200

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now for A's bearing I used pythagoras and inverse tan to calc the angle from the East/x axis was 52'30'28', thus subtracting it from 90 degrees gave me 37'29'32' from the y axis/north to bearing A.

For bearing B i did the same, and came up with a value from it's north position clockwise to Y bearing of 45' (inverse tan (200/200)).

Now to find the bearing from A to B, do I just add these bearings together, for a A to Y bearing of 82'29'32'?

If not, what do I do. Surprisingly google couldn't help me.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
You could draw this out on a sheet of graph paper, using an appropriate scale, then measure the angle and distance apart of the two locations to see how well your calculator work compares with the "reality".

NascentOxygen said:
You could draw this out on a sheet of graph paper, using an appropriate scale, then measure the angle and distance apart of the two locations to see how well your calculator work compares with the "reality".

Thanks mate but I kind of need how to do it numerically to do it in exams...

1. What is the purpose of addition of bearings in Eastings and Northings?

The addition of bearings in Eastings and Northings is used to accurately determine the location of a point on a map or in a geographic coordinate system. It involves adding or subtracting angles from a reference direction, usually north, to determine the direction of a point from a given location.

2. How is addition of bearings calculated?

Addition of bearings is calculated by first converting the bearings from degrees, minutes, and seconds to decimal degrees. Then, the bearings are added or subtracted depending on the direction from the reference direction. The resulting value is then converted back to degrees, minutes, and seconds.

3. What are the key components needed for addition of bearings?

The key components needed for addition of bearings are a map or geographic coordinate system, a compass or protractor to measure bearings, and knowledge of basic trigonometry for calculating bearings.

4. Can addition of bearings be used for any type of map or coordinate system?

Yes, addition of bearings can be used for any type of map or coordinate system as long as the bearings are measured from a consistent reference direction. The unit of measurement may vary (degrees, mils, etc.), but the process remains the same.

5. How is addition of bearings used in real-world applications?

Addition of bearings is commonly used in navigation, surveying, and cartography. It is also used in various industries such as aviation, marine, and land surveying to accurately determine the location and direction of objects or points.