Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of Velocities in Special Relativity

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    The problem is in an Algebra book but the jist of it is about calculus/analysis. If G is the interval (-c,c) and the operation is addition of velocities in Special Relativity, (that is:
    [tex]x \circ y = \frac{x+y}{1+\frac{xy}{c^2}}[/tex]) then decide whether G is a group. At first I thought it wasn't; figured either associativity or closure would fail. But when I tried some strange values it actually worked so I went about proving it. Associativity was fine. The identity is zero, inverse of x is -x. Closure is what I'm having trouble with. Everytime I try to use the fact |x|<c and |y|<c I lose information and I get upper bounds that are way too high to be of any use. I noticed things looked 'somewhat' (which is an overstatement) similar to what i was trying to prove if I used [tex] (x+y)^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2 [/tex], played around with it, but again once I started using inequalities i get too far. Is there some piece of information other than -c<x,y<c that I'm missing which would be key to solving this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Note, that [itex]x \circ y < c \Leftrightarrow (c-x)(c-y) > 0[/itex], which is always true for [itex] -c < x,y < c[/itex].

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    ah thanks. Every time I had c(x+y) < c^2 + xy it never occurred to me to factorise it!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook