1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Additional Text for Optics Class

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    Hello. I am currently taking Physical Optics and I do not particular like the textbook I am using and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on study tools (books or websites) to help me with what we are learning.

The class is of the undergraduate level, and the book we are using is Introduction to Optics by Pedrotti encase anyone is interested.

I would appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2
    The Schaum's Outlines book for optics gets pretty good reviews. I haven't gone through it yet, but it seems like a great resource for only $13. It's mostly problems that are solved and explained with some summarizing of important concepts. It's written by Hecht, who also has a textbook on optics, which the outline is based off of.

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Have you looked through either Hecht or Jenkins and White?

5. Jan 13, 2012 #4
    I second the recommendation for Hecht's "Optics".

The Schaum's Outline book, on the other hand, is more a quick summary for review than an actual teaching book. So get it if you want a review resource, but don't plan on learning optics from it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  6. Jan 13, 2012 #5
    That's the one the OP was complaining about. :smile:

7. Jan 13, 2012 #6

wukunlin

Gold Member

oh #@$%^ there goes the last bit of my reading comprehension

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook