Antenna theory: needed foundation (online courses?)

In summary, antenna theory is the study of antennas and their role in transmitting and receiving electromagnetic waves. It is important for modern technologies and involves key concepts such as radiation pattern, gain, and impedance. There are various types of antennas, and resources such as books, online courses, and university programs are available for learning about antenna theory. Some popular online courses include Coursera's "Antennas and Electromagnetic Waves," edX's "Antenna Systems," and Udemy's "Antenna Theory and Design."
IxRxPhysicist
Hey all,
I am trying to do a read through on antenna theory (using Constantine's book) and am wondering if there is any online course that might follow the book or serve as a good reference. I have found pretty good success in supplementing a book with an online course in the past (i.e. Hecht's optics and MIT's optics class) so any recommendations would be great.

Cheers,
IR

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is antenna theory and why is it important?

Antenna theory is the study of the design, analysis, and operation of antennas, which are devices used to transmit and receive electromagnetic waves. It is important because antennas are essential components of many modern technologies, including radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and radar systems.

2. What are the key concepts and principles of antenna theory?

The key concepts and principles of antenna theory include radiation pattern, gain, directivity, impedance, resonance, and polarization. These concepts are used to understand and analyze the performance of different types of antennas.

3. What are the different types of antennas?

There are many different types of antennas, including dipole, monopole, loop, patch, horn, parabolic, and Yagi antennas. Each type has its own unique design and characteristics, and is used for specific applications and frequencies.

4. How can I learn about antenna theory?

There are many resources available for learning about antenna theory, including books, online courses, and tutorials. Many universities also offer courses in antenna theory as part of their electrical engineering or physics programs.

5. Are there any online courses available for learning about antenna theory?

Yes, there are many online courses available for learning about antenna theory. Some popular options include Coursera's "Antennas and Electromagnetic Waves" course, edX's "Antenna Systems" course, and Udemy's "Antenna Theory and Design" course. It is important to research and compare different courses to find one that best fits your learning needs and goals.