Additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine

In summary: It might be a good one to look at if you are looking for a more mathematical book to explain the concepts without getting too bogged down in the mathematics.In summary, the person is looking for a textbook that is similar in level to Sakurai and Ballentine, but with more explanation and less mathematics. They suggest Gottfried & Yan, Quantum Physics by Bellac, and Quantum Mechanics by Auletta.
dyn
Hi. I already have Sakurai and Ballentine. I am looking for another textbook at a similar level. I am considering Gottfried & Yan , "Quantum Physics" by Bellac , "Quantum Mechanics" by Auletta. Any thoughts on these textbooks or any other suitable alternatives ? I do like textbooks that have worked examples in them.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Of the mentioned three books I only know Gottfried and Yan, which I think is a very good textbook. Of course, as DrClaude, I also recommend the Greiner books. My favorites in this series are the volume on symmetries in QM (Berndt Müller et al) and "Field Quantization" (Joachim Reinhardt).

I believe Sakurai and Ballentine go wonderfully together (you might find Sakurai too concise at times), why would you need a 3rd book? Do you want more mathematics or more explanation for the principles/applications? More mathematics: (the most) = the 2 volume set of Galindo and Pascual which you can find here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byl...+Galindo&sort=relevancerank&tag=pfamazon01-20 [yes, the price might seem high, but you can ask for it at the closest big university library]. For more on the theory content (with little emphasis on the mathematics behind) you have the old book by Landau & Lifschitz or the new one by S. Weinberg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies. I like to have as many different explanations as possible as I have found that no single book covers everything or explains everything well.

Although I did not read it 100%, Shankar wrote very good book in the quantum mechanics. I say it is quite gentle and explanatory.

1. What is the purpose of an additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine?

An additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine serves as a supplementary resource for students who are studying quantum mechanics. It may provide further explanations, examples, and practice problems to enhance the understanding of the subject.

2. How is the content of an additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine different from the original textbooks?

The content of an additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine may differ in terms of depth and style of presentation. It may also cover topics that are not included in the original textbooks, or provide different perspectives and approaches to understanding the subject.

3. Are the materials in an additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine necessary for understanding quantum mechanics?

No, the materials in an additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine are not necessary for understanding quantum mechanics. However, they can be helpful for students who want to deepen their understanding or improve their problem-solving skills.

4. Can an additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine be used as a substitute for the original textbooks?

No, an additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine cannot be used as a substitute for the original textbooks. It is meant to supplement the original textbooks and should be used in conjunction with them.

5. How can I determine if an additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine is appropriate for my level of understanding?

You can determine the appropriateness of an additional textbook to Sakurai and Ballentine by looking at its level of difficulty, the topics it covers, and the prerequisites listed by the author. It is important to choose a textbook that aligns with your current level of understanding in order to benefit from it.