1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic expansion at constant pressure.

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sample of 4.00mol of oxygen is originally confined in a 20L vessel at 270K and then undergoes adiabatic expansion against a constant pressure of 600torr until the volume has tripled. Find q, W, dT, dU, dH.

2. Relevant equations

U=q+w
    H=U+PV

3. The attempt at a solution

q=0 (Adiabatic)

w=-pexΔV

U=w

ΔT= ΔU/Cv

ΔH=0

The reason I'm posting this is because I believe that all of the above is correct, but my friend claims that ΔH is not zero. First of all, ΔH=q for a constant pressure expansion, and q=0, so ΔH=0, right?

Also:

ΔH=ΔU+Δ(PV)=w+ PΔV= -PΔV+PΔV=0

I believe oxygen is considered a perfect gas in this question, because we are expected to calculate C(v) from C(p)-C(v)=nR

So, am I right, does ΔH=0?

EDIT:

So, I get different answers depending on whether I use ΔH=ΔU+Δ(PV) or ΔH=ΔU+Δ(nRT)

Shouldn't they be the same? shouldn't Δ(PV)=Δ(nRT) ?

I've been obsessing over problems like this for weeks now. Every time I figure one thing out another thing pops up that just confuses everything for me.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

No, ΔH = q only if the pressure of the system stay constant. Although the external pressure is constant in this problem, the pressure of the system is not.

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    Are you talking about a reversible vs. irreversible change here?

So why does Δ(PV) not equal Δ(nRT)? Is it because to use Δ(PV), the P that you use has to be constant for the whole system? I didn't see that anywhere in my textbook.

So the P in the work equation is p(external) and in the enthalpy equation it is the pressure of the system?

EDIT: Ok, I see see that my last statement is correct, and Δ(PV) does indeed equal Δ(nRT), but since P is changing Δ(PV)≠PΔV because P is the pressure of the system. So we just use nRΔT because we know all those quantities.

I'm glad I finally cleared this up.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook