Adiabatic expansion of a balloon

In summary: ThanksIn summary, the problem involves a flexible balloon containing 0.375 mol of hydrogen sulfide gas H2S with a volume of 6750 cm^3 and a temperature of 29.0 C. The H2S expands isobarically until the volume doubles, and then it expands adiabatically until the temperature returns to its initial value. To solve for the final volume in meters cubed, the adiabatic condition is applied, where PV^gamma=K. Using the given values for temperature and volume, the final volume is calculated to be 0.78 m^3. The change in internal energy of the gas can be found using the formula delta_U = nCv delta
gmarc

Homework Statement

A flexible balloon contains 0.375 mol of hydrogen sulfide gas H2S. Initially the balloon of H2S has a volume of 6750 cm^3 and a temperature of 29.0 C. The H2S first expands isobarically until the volume doubles. Then it expands adiabatically until the temperature returns to its initial value. Assume that the H2S may be treated as an ideal gas with C_p = 34.60 J/mol*K and gamma = 4/3.

What is the final volume in meters cubed?

Physics news on Phys.org
gmarc said:

Homework Statement

A flexible balloon contains 0.375 mol of hydrogen sulfide gas H2S. Initially the balloon of H2S has a volume of 6750 cm^3 and a temperature of 29.0 C. The H2S first expands isobarically until the volume doubles. Then it expands adiabatically until the temperature returns to its initial value. Assume that the H2S may be treated as an ideal gas with C_p = 34.60 J/mol*K and gamma = 4/3.

What is the final volume in meters cubed?
Show us your thoughts on this first.

This a first Law problem.

Can you draw a PV diagram of this two stage process? What is the Work done by the gas in the first stage? What is the heat flow into the gas in each stage? What is the total change in internal energy of the gas?

If you answer those questions, you will be able to answer the question.

AM

as a continuation of this problem, I tried to solve it by using the equation:

v2^(1/3) = [t1*v1^(1/3)]/t2

Found t2 by:
po=pf=t1/v1=t2/2v1
2t1v1/v1=t2
2t1=t2

so... i got v2^(1/3) = {[299*(7050cm3 *10-9 m3)^1/3] / 598}
v2={0.00958}^3
=8.81 * 10-7

The answer machine says wrong. What did I do wrong? Thanks in advance!

You've been given a gamma, why do you think this is?

Recheck the ideal gas adiabatic relations. As this is

I may have confused you. This does not require application of the first law. Sorry about that.

Determine the temperature after the first expansion (PV=nRT). Then apply the adiabatic condition (PV^{\gamma} = nRTV^{\gamma-1} = K)to determine the volume when T is back to the original T.

AM

I'm confused. What have I done wrong with my equation.

By the way, I'm a different person asking the same question. :)

What is K, the original temperature? And how do you get P, through the p0=t1/v1 equation?

minidee said:
I'm confused. What have I done wrong with my equation.

By the way, I'm a different person asking the same question. :)

What is K, the original temperature? And how do you get P, through the p0=t1/v1 equation?
K is a constant. The adiabatic condition is PV^{gamma} = constant.

As far as your equation is concerned, I am not sure what you are doing. You haven't provided any explanation. You have to break the question into two parts. The first part is simple. You can easily find T after the isobaric expansion. To find the volume after the adiabatic expansion you apply the adiabatic condition.

AM

I found help elsewhere. Your way with the K constant is actually quite unnecessary. It's faster to use just V1 and gamma. Thanks for coming back and trying to help I guess.

minidee said:
I found help elsewhere. Your way with the K constant is actually quite unnecessary. It's faster to use just V1 and gamma. Thanks for coming back and trying to help I guess.
You appear to be applying the adiabatic condition but you seem to be unaware of it.

The adiabatic condition is:

[/tex]PV^{\gamma}=K[/tex]

If you substitute P = nRT/V this becomes:

[/tex]nRTV^{\gamma-1} = K[/tex]

This means that [/itex]TV^{\gamma-1}[/itex] does not change, so:

[/tex]T_2V_2^{\gamma-1} = T_3V_3^{\gamma}[/tex]

T1 = 302K
T2 = 604K
[/itex]V2 = 6750 cm^3 = 6.75 x 10^3 (x 10^{-6}) m^3 = 6.75 x 10^{-3} m^3[/itex]
V3 = 13.50 x 10^{-3}m^3

So:

[/tex](604)(1.350 x 10^{-2})^{1/3} = (302)V_3^{1/3}[/tex]

[/tex]V_3^{1/3} = .476 m^3[/tex]

[/tex]V_3 = .78 m^3 = 7.8 x 10^5 cm^3[/tex]

You started out ok but your numbers are wrong. Also the temperature of 29C is 273+29 = 302K.

(Latex seems to be down so I have put a / in front of the tags so you can see them)
AM

Andrew Mason said:
You appear to be applying the adiabatic condition but you seem to be unaware of it.

The adiabatic condition is:

[/tex]PV^{\gamma}=K[/tex]

If you substitute P = nRT/V this becomes:

[/tex]nRTV^{\gamma-1} = K[/tex]

This means that [/itex]TV^{\gamma-1}[/itex] does not change, so:

[/tex]T_2V_2^{\gamma-1} = T_3V_3^{\gamma}[/tex]

T1 = 302K
T2 = 604K
[/itex]V2 = 6750 cm^3 = 6.75 x 10^3 (x 10^{-6}) m^3 = 6.75 x 10^{-3} m^3[/itex]
V3 = 13.50 x 10^{-3}m^3

So:

[/tex](604)(1.350 x 10^{-2})^{1/3} = (302)V_3^{1/3}[/tex]

[/tex]V_3^{1/3} = .476 m^3[/tex]

[/tex]V_3 = .78 m^3 = 7.8 x 10^5 cm^3[/tex]

You started out ok but your numbers are wrong. Also the temperature of 29C is 273+29 = 302K.

(Latex seems to be down so I have put a / in front of the tags so you can see them)
AM

How can V_3 = .78 m^3
if
V_3^(1/3) = .476 m^3

3sqrt(V_3) = .476 m^3

V_3 = (.476 m^3)^3 = 0.1078 ?

I have trouble finding delta_U

delta_U = nCv delta_T

T = 300 K
n = 0.35 mol
Cv = 25.95 J/mol*K
delta_T = 0 I not sure about this one
The question states
"Then it expands adiabatically until the temperature returns to its initial value"

The balloon double it volume isobarically and then adiabatically until the temperature returns to its initial value

Please help me

Last edited:

1. What is Adiabatic Expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a process in which a gas expands without any heat being added or removed from the system. This means that the temperature of the gas will decrease as it expands.

2. How does a balloon expand adiabatically?

When a balloon is filled with helium or another gas, it is sealed off from the environment. As the balloon rises, the atmospheric pressure decreases and the gas inside expands adiabatically, causing the balloon to increase in size.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in adiabatic expansion?

In adiabatic expansion, the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional. This means that as the volume increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

4. What is the formula for calculating the change in temperature during adiabatic expansion?

The formula for calculating the change in temperature during adiabatic expansion is ΔT = (T1-T2)/(T1+T2) * T1, where T1 is the initial temperature and T2 is the final temperature.

5. Is adiabatic expansion an ideal process?

No, adiabatic expansion is not an ideal process. In real-life scenarios, there may be some heat exchange with the surroundings, making the process non-adiabatic. However, adiabatic expansion is a good approximation for many practical situations.