ADM: how to see the normal vector proportional to a 1-form?

In summary: So, for this homework, we need to see the normal vector as a 1-form. However, I don't know how to do this! :(
symplectic
Hi

Homework Statement

In the ADM formalsim, we need at some point to see the normal vector (to the 3D surfaces) as a 1-form.

Homework Equations

How can we (simply) see that? (Please no Frobenius theorem, otherwise, with more explanation about this theorem)

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider this kind of object:

nνναβγaαbβcγ

where n is perpendicular to the hyperplane that contains a,b,c.

turin said:
Consider this kind of object:

nνναβγaαbβcγ

where n is perpendicular to the hyperplane that contains a,b,c.

Okey, and how can I see it as a 1-form?!

It has a lower index. The convention that I learned is that upper indices are n-tensor indices, and lower indices are n-form indices. You can reverse this convention if you like. The main point is that the three sets of coefficients on the RHS that contract with the Levi-Civita symbol are 1-tensors, and their indices are in the opposite position to the coefficient on the LHS, which is a 1-form (coefficient).

Maybe I don't know what you mean by "see it as a 1-form". If so, I appologize for the distraction. In the language of MTW, when a 1-tensor is contracted with a 1-form, the result sort-of tells you how many 1-form "surfaces" are pieced by the 1-tensor. In that description, the 1-tensor (coeffients with upper index) is sort-of a line, and the 1-form (coefficients with lower index) is sort-of a series of surfaces.

Thank you turin,

turin said:
It has a lower index. The convention that I learned is that upper indices are n-tensor indices, and lower indices are n-form indices. You can reverse this convention if you like. The main point is that the three sets of coefficients on the RHS that contract with the Levi-Civita symbol are 1-tensors, and their indices are in the opposite position to the coefficient on the LHS, which is a 1-form (coefficient).

Yes, I guess that this is a manner to see it but ... I wonder how to do if there were no convention!

turin said:
Maybe I don't know what you mean by "see it as a 1-form". If so, I appologize for the distraction. In the language of MTW, when a 1-tensor is contracted with a 1-form, the result sort-of tells you how many 1-form "surfaces" are pieced by the 1-tensor. In that description, the 1-tensor (coeffients with upper index) is sort-of a line, and the 1-form (coefficients with lower index) is sort-of a series of surfaces.

I still wait an answer which convince me :wink:

Writing it out in full, you would have

[tex]\mathbf{n} = n_\mu \mathrm{dx}^\mu = \epsilon_{\mu\nu\lambda\sigma} a^\nu b^\lambda c^\sigma \mathrm{dx}^\mu[/tex]

where [itex]\mathrm{dx}^\mu[/itex] are the basis 1-forms. Beyond that, I also don't know what you mean by "see it as a 1-form".

Ben Niehoff said:
Writing it out in full, you would have

[tex]\mathbf{n} = n_\mu \mathrm{dx}^\mu = \epsilon_{\mu\nu\lambda\sigma} a^\nu b^\lambda c^\sigma \mathrm{dx}^\mu[/tex]

where [itex]\mathrm{dx}^\mu[/itex] are the basis 1-forms. Beyond that, I also don't know what you mean by "see it as a 1-form".

Hi againe,
OK, here is what I found in almost all papers that I read:
We have a 3d surface ∑ embedded in a 4d space M via the embedding Xt defined by:
Xt(x) = X(t,x) where X is a diffeomorphism X : σ x ℝ → M (x are coordinates on ∑ and X are those of M) so one can think about the surface as defined by : f(X) = t = constant so that:
0 = limε→0 [f (Xt (x + εb) − f (Xt (x))]/ε = baXμ,a(f)|X = Xt(x) for any tangential b of σ = X(∑) on x ... so that on can see n as : nμ = F f (a 1-form)
My problem is that I don't understand very well what we mean by all that !

symplectic, I think you missed my point. The convention does not matter. The RHS has 1-tensor coefficients, and the LHS has a 1-form coefficient. The only reason that I mentioned the convention was to clarify that the position of the index tells you that it is a 1-form.

Here's a different (more explicit) way to look at it. A 3-surface is basically a volume. A differential "area" of the 3-surface would have the form dxdydz, right. So, generalize these differentials to 1-tensors: dxαdyβdzγ, where these differentials are some specific directions in space-time. This product has units of 3-surface area (volume), but it is a 3-tensor, not a 1-form. You convert it to a 1-form by contracting with the Levi-Civita symbol. This is similar to converting a 1-tensor to a 1-form by contracting with the metric.

I don't know if this is standard notation, but, instead of using indices, imagine that the Levi-Civita symbol is a function that "eats" n-tensors and spits out (4-n)-forms.

ε(⋅,⋅,⋅,⋅)

So, in this case, the Levi-Civita symbol "eats" three 1-tensors, dx, dy, and dz.

ε(⋅,dx,dy,dz)=~dV

The tilde in front is my way to identify the object as a n-form. 1 argument of the Levi-Civita symbol is left open, so the result is a 1-form.

This is similar to the idea of the metric "eating" an n-tensor, resulting in a (2-n)-form.

η(⋅,⋅)

So, if the metric "eats" a vector (1-tensor), the result is a 1-form.

η(⋅,dx)=~dx

In the index approach, this is called "lowering" the index.

One more point to make: ε(dt,dx,dy,dz) is Lorentz invariant. This is true regardless of what dt, dx, dy, and dz represent, as long as they are 1-tensors.

turin said:
symplectic, I think you missed my point. The convention does not matter. The RHS has 1-tensor coefficients, and the LHS has a 1-form coefficient. The only reason that I mentioned the convention was to clarify that the position of the index tells you that it is a 1-form.

Here's a different (more explicit) way to look at it. A 3-surface is basically a volume. A differential "area" of the 3-surface would have the form dxdydz, right. So, generalize these differentials to 1-tensors: dxαdyβdzγ, where these differentials are some specific directions in space-time. This product has units of 3-surface area (volume), but it is a 3-tensor, not a 1-form. You convert it to a 1-form by contracting with the Levi-Civita symbol. This is similar to converting a 1-tensor to a 1-form by contracting with the metric.

I don't know if this is standard notation, but, instead of using indices, imagine that the Levi-Civita symbol is a function that "eats" n-tensors and spits out (4-n)-forms.

ε(⋅,⋅,⋅,⋅)

So, in this case, the Levi-Civita symbol "eats" three 1-tensors, dx, dy, and dz.

ε(⋅,dx,dy,dz)=~dV

The tilde in front is my way to identify the object as a n-form. 1 argument of the Levi-Civita symbol is left open, so the result is a 1-form.

This is similar to the idea of the metric "eating" an n-tensor, resulting in a (2-n)-form.

η(⋅,⋅)

So, if the metric "eats" a vector (1-tensor), the result is a 1-form.

η(⋅,dx)=~dx

In the index approach, this is called "lowering" the index.

One more point to make: ε(dt,dx,dy,dz) is Lorentz invariant. This is true regardless of what dt, dx, dy, and dz represent, as long as they are 1-tensors.

Okey, you succeeded ... I don't see it anymore as a vector :rofl:
If I understood, writing n as :
nμ = εμνρσdxνdxρdxσ
Tells us that it is in fact a 1-form, and not a vector !

1. What is ADM?

ADM stands for Arnowitt-Deser-Misner and refers to a formalism in general relativity developed by Richard Arnowitt, Stanley Deser, and Charles Misner.

2. What is a normal vector?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a given surface or object. In the context of ADM, it is a vector that is perpendicular to a 1-form.

3. What is a 1-form?

A 1-form is a mathematical object that assigns a scalar value to each point in a given space. In the context of ADM, it represents the gravitational potential of a spacetime.

4. How can I see the normal vector proportional to a 1-form?

The normal vector proportional to a 1-form can be visualized by using mathematical equations or computer simulations. It can also be represented graphically by plotting vectors perpendicular to the 1-form at various points in space.

5. Why is it important to understand the normal vector proportional to a 1-form in ADM?

Understanding the normal vector proportional to a 1-form is crucial in the study of general relativity and gravitational physics. It helps us visualize and understand the geometry of spacetime and its curvature, which is essential in studying the effects of gravity on matter and energy.