Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advance math learning

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1
    I’m about to learn advances of mathematics. However, notations, symbols, such as Greek, etc, makes me MORE difficult to learn it. Does anyone here know the way to solve this problem and get easier?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, start easy :smile:
    I agree that the switch of notation is the biggest obstruction. You will probably find a book like "Foundations of higher mathematics" by Fletcher and Patty quite useful. It's an introduction to things like logical statements, ways to prove something, sets, functions and all the other basic things you encounter anywhere in mathematics, introducing a lot of notation.

About the Greek alphabet, don't worry - you'll get used to it. You will learn the letters as you go; the most common ones such as [itex]\phi, \psi, \alpha, \beta, \theta[/itex] you will pick up rather soon, others you will only encounter only much later (some fellow students who didn't take Greek only learned some of them in the third year in university).

And of course, if something is not clear: ask someone!

4. Aug 4, 2007 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your worry expressed indicates the stress of transitioning from "Basic Mathematics" to Introductory Algebra. Maybe you are really trying to transit from Introductory Algebra into Geometry. What you need is the ability to read critically and practice. Notation will always be important. Mathematics works like a written language. It is not the same to use as a natural human language. Mathematics is nearly always handled in written form, and so notation, just as in written English, will always be important for clear communication.

5. Aug 4, 2007 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, we all read the question differently. I thought the poster was asking about historical advances in mathematics, complaining that early notation differed from modern symbolic notation.

6. Aug 5, 2007 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, it's probably the subtle difference between "advances" and "advanced" that I initially missed as a non-native English speaker, mainly looking at the title :smile:
    I admit it is a bit ambiguous though. So sorry if I misinterpreted your question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?