Struggling with Advanced Math Notations? Here's How to Overcome It!

• Thread starter yuska
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of learning advanced mathematics due to the use of notations and symbols, particularly the Greek alphabet. Some suggestions are made, such as using a book on the foundations of higher mathematics and getting used to the notation through practice. The importance of notation in mathematics as a written language is also highlighted. There is also some confusion about the meaning of "advances" in the original question.
yuska
I’m about to learn advances of mathematics. However, notations, symbols, such as Greek, etc, makes me MORE difficult to learn it. Does anyone here know the way to solve this problem and get easier?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yeah, start easy :smile:
I agree that the switch of notation is the biggest obstruction. You will probably find a book like "Foundations of higher mathematics" by Fletcher and Patty quite useful. It's an introduction to things like logical statements, ways to prove something, sets, functions and all the other basic things you encounter anywhere in mathematics, introducing a lot of notation.

About the Greek alphabet, don't worry - you'll get used to it. You will learn the letters as you go; the most common ones such as [itex]\phi, \psi, \alpha, \beta, \theta[/itex] you will pick up rather soon, others you will only encounter only much later (some fellow students who didn't take Greek only learned some of them in the third year in university).

And of course, if something is not clear: ask someone!

yuska said:
I’m about to learn advances of mathematics. However, notations, symbols, such as Greek, etc, makes me MORE difficult to learn it. Does anyone here know the way to solve this problem and get easier?
Your worry expressed indicates the stress of transitioning from "Basic Mathematics" to Introductory Algebra. Maybe you are really trying to transit from Introductory Algebra into Geometry. What you need is the ability to read critically and practice. Notation will always be important. Mathematics works like a written language. It is not the same to use as a natural human language. Mathematics is nearly always handled in written form, and so notation, just as in written English, will always be important for clear communication.

Wow, we all read the question differently. I thought the poster was asking about historical advances in mathematics, complaining that early notation differed from modern symbolic notation.

Yeah, it's probably the subtle difference between "advances" and "advanced" that I initially missed as a non-native English speaker, mainly looking at the title :smile:
I admit it is a bit ambiguous though. So sorry if I misinterpreted your question.

1. What is advanced math learning?

Advanced math learning is the study of complex mathematical concepts and theories beyond the basic level. It involves the application of advanced mathematical principles and problem-solving techniques to solve complex problems in various fields such as science, engineering, and finance.

2. Who can benefit from advanced math learning?

Anyone with a strong interest and aptitude for mathematics can benefit from advanced math learning. It is particularly useful for students pursuing degrees in STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics), as well as professionals in fields that require advanced mathematical skills.

3. What are some examples of advanced math concepts?

Advanced math concepts include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex analysis, number theory, and abstract algebra. These concepts are used to solve real-world problems in various disciplines such as physics, economics, and computer science.

4. How can I improve my skills in advanced math?

To improve your skills in advanced math, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and practice regularly. Additionally, seeking out challenging problems and working on them with a study group or tutor can also help improve your skills.

5. What are the benefits of learning advanced math?

Learning advanced math can improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and analytical reasoning skills. It can also open up opportunities for higher education and careers in fields that require strong mathematical skills. Additionally, it can provide a deeper understanding and appreciation for the complexity and beauty of mathematics.