1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1
    If anyone of you got the book Advanced Calculus 2e by Fitzpatrick I would appreciate your posting of the questions 14, 15, 16 on page 20. My order of the book hasn't reached me but I need to turn in the homework tomorrow. I just need the questions.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2
    Here are the questions:

14.(Cauchy’s Inequality) Using the fact that the square of a real number is nonnegative, prove that for any numbers a and b
    Prove that:
    [tex]ab \leq \frac{1}{2} \left( a^2+b^2) [/tex]

15. Use Cauchy's Inequality to prove that if [tex] a \geq 0 [/tex] and [tex] b \geq 0 [/tex] , then
    [tex] \sqrt{ab} \leq \frac{1}{2} \left( a + b \right) [/tex]

16. use Cauchy's Inequality to prove for any numbers a and b and a natural number n

[tex]ab \leq \frac{1}{2} \left( na^2 + \frac{1}{n}b^2 \right) [/tex]

This is why you should buy your books at the bookstore for the beginning of classes(in case professors assign homework problems), even if you pre-order then online. You can always return them for a refund.
  4. Aug 26, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, this is a first. I don't think I've seen anyone ask for a question rather than an answer. Good job rising to the occasion konthelion! And good advice.
  5. Aug 26, 2008 #4
    Thanks konthelion for the reply and advice.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?