Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e

In summary, the conversation involves a request for questions from the book Advanced Calculus 2e by Fitzpatrick, specifically questions 14, 15, and 16 on page 20. The person asking needs the questions for homework due the next day and has not received their book yet. The conversation also includes advice to buy books at the bookstore for the start of classes and the option to return them for a refund.
propensity
If anyone of you got the book Advanced Calculus 2e by Fitzpatrick I would appreciate your posting of the questions 14, 15, 16 on page 20. My order of the book hasn't reached me but I need to turn in the homework tomorrow. I just need the questions.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the questions:

14.(Cauchy’s Inequality) Using the fact that the square of a real number is nonnegative, prove that for any numbers a and b
Prove that:
[tex]ab \leq \frac{1}{2} \left( a^2+b^2) [/tex]

15. Use Cauchy's Inequality to prove that if [tex] a \geq 0 [/tex] and [tex] b \geq 0 [/tex] , then
[tex] \sqrt{ab} \leq \frac{1}{2} \left( a + b \right) [/tex]

16. use Cauchy's Inequality to prove for any numbers a and b and a natural number n

[tex]ab \leq \frac{1}{2} \left( na^2 + \frac{1}{n}b^2 \right) [/tex]This is why you should buy your books at the bookstore for the beginning of classes(in case professors assign homework problems), even if you pre-order then online. You can always return them for a refund.

Wow, this is a first. I don't think I've seen anyone ask for a question rather than an answer. Good job rising to the occasion konthelion! And good advice.

Thanks konthelion for the reply and advice.

What is "Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e"?

"Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e" is a textbook that covers advanced topics in calculus, including multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and differential equations. It is intended for students who have already taken a course in single-variable calculus and are looking to expand their understanding of the subject.

Who is the author of "Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e"?

The author of "Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e" is Patrick M. Fitzpatrick, a professor of mathematics at the University of Maryland. He has also written other textbooks on calculus and analysis, and has received numerous awards for his teaching and research.

What makes "Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e" different from other calculus textbooks?

"Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e" is known for its rigorous and comprehensive coverage of advanced topics in calculus. It also includes a large number of examples and exercises to help students develop their problem-solving skills. Additionally, the book has a focus on applications of calculus, making it relevant to real-world situations.

Is "Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e" suitable for self-study?

While the book is primarily used as a textbook for college-level courses, it can also be used for self-study. However, it is recommended that students have a strong foundation in single-variable calculus before attempting to study this advanced text on their own.

Are there any supplementary materials available for "Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e"?

Yes, there is a solutions manual and study guide available for "Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e". These resources can be helpful for students looking for extra practice problems and guidance in their studies.