Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Advanced Calculus Fitzpatrick 2e

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1
    If anyone of you got the book Advanced Calculus 2e by Fitzpatrick I would appreciate your posting of the questions 14, 15, 16 on page 20. My order of the book hasn't reached me but I need to turn in the homework tomorrow. I just need the questions.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2
    Here are the questions:

14.(Cauchy’s Inequality) Using the fact that the square of a real number is nonnegative, prove that for any numbers a and b
    Prove that:
    [tex]ab \leq \frac{1}{2} \left( a^2+b^2) [/tex]

15. Use Cauchy's Inequality to prove that if [tex] a \geq 0 [/tex] and [tex] b \geq 0 [/tex] , then
    [tex] \sqrt{ab} \leq \frac{1}{2} \left( a + b \right) [/tex]

16. use Cauchy's Inequality to prove for any numbers a and b and a natural number n

[tex]ab \leq \frac{1}{2} \left( na^2 + \frac{1}{n}b^2 \right) [/tex]

This is why you should buy your books at the bookstore for the beginning of classes(in case professors assign homework problems), even if you pre-order then online. You can always return them for a refund.

4. Aug 26, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, this is a first. I don't think I've seen anyone ask for a question rather than an answer. Good job rising to the occasion konthelion! And good advice.

5. Aug 26, 2008 #4
    Thanks konthelion for the reply and advice.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook