Advanced courses in mathematics and physics for doing phd in harvrd

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for getting into Harvard's physics division and suggests looking at other schools instead of limiting oneself to just Harvard. It also mentions getting out of a technological university and transferring to a top university, such as IIT Madras, to increase chances of being accepted into Harvard.
laalini
I am planning to get into harvard physics division the requirements say that I should complete six advanced courses ,two mathematics and four physics courses .but i study in a technological university in India .But i am willing to do the courses outside .anyone with the similar problem and anyone with suggestions are welcome to give a piece of advice regarding the type of courses and the instituition to receive them part time

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Don't limit yourself to just Harvard, it's very difficult to get into a school like that especially for an international student, look around at other schools. You sound like you're at the start of your academic career so focus first on succeeding at your current courses instead of getting into a top tier grad school.

2) I'm no expert on Indian schools but I have heard good things about IIT Madras. If you want to have any chance at getting into Harvard I suggest you get out of your technological university and transfer to one of the top universities there.

1. What are the prerequisites for enrolling in advanced mathematics and physics courses at Harvard for a PhD?

The prerequisites for enrolling in advanced mathematics and physics courses at Harvard for a PhD may vary depending on the specific program and department. Generally, a strong background in mathematics and physics at the undergraduate level is expected, including courses in calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics. Some programs may also require coursework in quantum mechanics and advanced mathematics topics such as differential equations and complex analysis.

2. How do advanced courses in mathematics and physics prepare students for a PhD at Harvard?

Advanced courses in mathematics and physics at Harvard are designed to provide students with a strong theoretical foundation and advanced problem-solving skills. These courses cover topics such as quantum field theory, statistical mechanics, and advanced mathematical methods, which are essential for conducting research at the PhD level. Additionally, these courses also help students develop critical thinking and analytical skills, which are necessary for success in a PhD program.

3. Are there any research opportunities available for students in advanced mathematics and physics courses at Harvard?

Yes, there are various research opportunities available for students in advanced mathematics and physics courses at Harvard. Many of the courses have research components built into them, allowing students to work on projects and conduct experiments under the guidance of faculty members. Additionally, students can also participate in research projects through various research centers and labs at Harvard, providing hands-on experience and opportunities to publish their work.

4. Can students specialize in a specific area of mathematics or physics while pursuing a PhD at Harvard?

Yes, students can specialize in a specific area of mathematics or physics while pursuing a PhD at Harvard. The university offers a wide range of specialization options in both fields, including areas such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, and topology. Students can work closely with their advisors to tailor their coursework and research projects to their specific interests and career goals.

5. What is the job outlook for PhD graduates in mathematics and physics from Harvard?

The job outlook for PhD graduates in mathematics and physics from Harvard is very promising. Graduates from these programs are highly sought after in both academia and industry. Many go on to secure faculty positions at prestigious universities or research positions at top companies. Additionally, the strong theoretical and analytical skills acquired through these programs also make graduates competitive for a wide range of careers, including data science, finance, and engineering.