Advanced undergrad/grad book for classical mechanics as macro limit of QM

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for understanding limits and quantisation in non-relativistic quantum mechanics. The Landau and Lifgarbagez book is suggested as a good resource for explaining these concepts, specifically the chapter on Quasi-Classicality and the use of Bohr and Sommerfeld quantisation.
Einstein Mcfly
Hi folks. I'm wondering who does a good job of explaining this limit, preferably with a good set of examples. It doesn't need to be too basic, but it'd be nice if it went through the phase space stuff a little (I get the impression that my grad prof didn't do a great job with some details based on questions that come up when I read through such things).

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Landau and Lifgarbagez book on non relatavistic QM has a good chapter on Quasi-Classicality, it gives plenty of uses for it in later chapters as well.
L&L do a good job of explaining Bohr and Sommerfeld quantisation which is what I think you're looking for when you say 'through the phase space stuff a little'.

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of microscopic particles. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics follows probabilistic laws.

2. Why is it important to understand the macro limit of quantum mechanics?

Understanding the macro limit of quantum mechanics helps bridge the gap between the microscopic and macroscopic worlds. It also allows for a better understanding of how classical mechanics emerges from the underlying quantum laws.

3. What topics are typically covered in an advanced undergrad/grad book for classical mechanics as macro limit of QM?

An advanced undergrad/grad book for classical mechanics as macro limit of QM may cover topics such as Hamiltonian mechanics, Lagrangian mechanics, classical field theory, and the correspondence principle between classical and quantum mechanics.

4. Is prior knowledge of quantum mechanics necessary to understand the macro limit of QM?

Yes, prior knowledge of quantum mechanics is necessary to understand the macro limit of QM. A solid understanding of basic quantum principles and mathematical techniques is necessary to grasp the concepts covered in an advanced book on the macro limit of QM.

5. How can understanding the macro limit of QM help in other fields of science?

Understanding the macro limit of QM can have applications in other fields of science, such as condensed matter physics, astrophysics, and chemical physics. It can also provide insights into the behavior of complex systems and aid in the development of new technologies.