Advanced vector question incl. parallelepiped

In summary, the question involves finding the cross product of three given vectors A, B, and C. This requires understanding the definitions of cross product, triple scalar product, dot product, and vector magnitude. The pipes "|" represent vector length or absolute value. The missing values in vector B can be assumed as 1. The final answer is 0.
agentnerdo

Homework Statement

Given the three vectors A = 2i + j, and B= i + k, C=4j, find the following

a) |A X B|
b) |A x (B X C)|
c) the volume of the parallelepiped whos concurrent edges rae represented by A B C.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck on A.

I assume it couldn't be as simple as |(2i+j)(i+k)|?
Once I get the first part I will try b and c myself before asking for more help (which I def will need)

Physics news on Phys.org
You need some basic definitions before tackling the question. Google "cross product" and "triple scalar product", or if you have a textbook, look them up there. I think the symbol you wrote as X is the cross that denotes the cross product, and I suspect the symbol you wrote as x should really be the dot that denotes the "dot product" (another one to google if you haven't met that yet).

The pipes, those vertical lines, | ... |, in (a) denote what's called the "length", "magnitude" or "norm" of the vector "A cross B". The pipes in (b) denote the "absolute value" of the number "A dot (B cross C)".

I think I am kind of getting it.

Most examples online use three numbers (ie =3i, 5j, 6k)

As such you get a nice little box

In this case, we are missing, for B= any j value, does this mean we assume j=1 for b?

this is what I have so far

i j k

2 1 1 (I assume this is 1, since it is not shown)
1 1 1 (made the assumpetion for j again)
1 4 1

Now, looking at i;

1x1 - 4x1 = -3
i 1-1=0
j ---> 4-1=3

therefore, final answer is 0.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often depicted as an arrow, with the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector and the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

What is an advanced vector?

An advanced vector is a vector that has been transformed or manipulated in some way, often using advanced mathematical concepts such as matrices and transformations. This allows for more complex and precise calculations and analysis of vectors.

What is a parallelepiped?

A parallelepiped is a three-dimensional shape that has six faces, each of which is a parallelogram. It is similar to a rectangular prism, but its faces are not necessarily perpendicular. It is often used in geometry and vector mathematics.

How are vectors represented in a parallelepiped?

In a parallelepiped, vectors are represented as the edges or diagonals of the shape. This allows for a visual representation of vector addition, subtraction, and other operations.

What are some real-world applications of advanced vector questions incl. parallelepiped?

Advanced vector questions involving parallelepiped have many practical applications, including in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They can be used to calculate forces and moments in structures, analyze motion and trajectories, and create complex 3D models and animations. They are also useful in fields such as computer vision, robotics, and machine learning.