1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advantages and disadvantages of both AC AND AD?

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    Hey I am new here and I need a little help. I have this debate coming up about direct current vs. alternating current. I am for DC. Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of both AC AND AD??iT would really help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2
    anyone?? feedback??

4. Jan 25, 2007 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

My feedback would be that that is a very strange topic. It's like asking what is the advantage of salt versus sugar!

AC and DC have different uses for different purposes. If you need a steady magnetic field, you use DC and not AC. If you want to transmit power, you use AC rather than DC. If you want to induce current in a transformer, you often use AC rather than DC, etc... etc... Different things for different purposes! You can't just say "I am going to use DC ONLY and that's that!" You won't be able to do many many other things. The same goes for AC.

Like I said, this is like arguing salt versus sugar. A VERY strange debate topic. You can tell that to whoever suggested it.

Zz.

5. Jan 25, 2007 #4

ranger

Gold Member

Wow, you expected a response with 4 minutes. Have you ever heard about AC vs. DC power struggle between Westinghouse and Edison? Theres a reason why AC won. Why dont you start by telling us what material you already have and the context of your debate and then we'll be able to help you.

6. Jan 25, 2007 #5
    mineral is coal. I am suppose to be Francis Jehl in the debate.

7. Jan 25, 2007 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Huh?

Zz.

8. Jan 25, 2007 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

9. Jan 25, 2007 #8
    the debate is teusday so can you just tell me what the book is about?? Thanks for the suggestion though!

10. Jan 25, 2007 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Uh, no. Meg, we don't do other peoples' homework for them here. The help you'll get here is similar to what you'd get if you asked your teacher for help.

11. Jan 26, 2007 #10
    Where do I go on your site to get info about AC/DC?? and I never asked you to do my homework for me!

12. Jan 26, 2007 #11

ranger

Gold Member

The internet is a big big place with lots of info for you. Also make use of the library and what not.

13. Jan 26, 2007 #12
    I would personally try to find what i could in a library first and try the internet. Book are official. Anybody can write anything on the internet. Wikipedia is a good example of that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?