Advantages and disadvantages of both AC AND AD?

  • Thread starter Thread starter meg255
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ac
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
meg255
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hey I am new here and I need a little help. I have this debate coming up about direct current vs. alternating current. I am for DC. Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of both AC AND AD??iT would really help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My feedback would be that that is a very strange topic. It's like asking what is the advantage of salt versus sugar!

AC and DC have different uses for different purposes. If you need a steady magnetic field, you use DC and not AC. If you want to transmit power, you use AC rather than DC. If you want to induce current in a transformer, you often use AC rather than DC, etc... etc... Different things for different purposes! You can't just say "I am going to use DC ONLY and that's that!" You won't be able to do many many other things. The same goes for AC.

Like I said, this is like arguing salt versus sugar. A VERY strange debate topic. You can tell that to whoever suggested it.

Zz.
 
Wow, you expected a response with 4 minutes. Have you ever heard about AC vs. DC power struggle between Westinghouse and Edison? there's a reason why AC won. Why don't you start by telling us what material you already have and the context of your debate and then we'll be able to help you.
 
mineral is coal. I am suppose to be Francis Jehl in the debate.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
the debate is teusday so can you just tell me what the book is about?? Thanks for the suggestion though!
 
Where do I go on your site to get info about AC/DC?? and I never asked you to do my homework for me!
 
The internet is a big big place with lots of info for you. Also make use of the library and what not.
 
ranger said:
The internet is a big big place with lots of info for you. Also make use of the library and what not.

I would personally try to find what i could in a library first and try the internet. Book are official. Anybody can write anything on the internet. Wikipedia is a good example of that.