AC production production -- I need to describe how it works

In summary: I understand providing a summary, but do you mean a more in-depth review?Also, could you tell me what is meant by a review?
Daniel2244

Homework Statement

provide a detailed review on how alternating current is produced and the relation that determins movement and current flow direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the basics of how AC is produced- AC is produced from an alternater (type of generator) which is comprised of a wire and magnetic field. The wire is rotated between the two magnets inducing current flow. using Flemming's left/right hand rule I can work out the direction of current flow.

All the research I have done so far has only have me little insight of how AC is produced but I need to provide a thorough review. Could you guys please reccomend some good websites?

Physics news on Phys.org
I went to Wikipedia and did an initial search on AC Power Production. That led me to a disambiguation page, where there are a number of good links to Wikipedia articles given. Maybe start with that? :smile:

Likes Daniel2244
berkeman said:
I went to Wikipedia and did an initial search on AC Power Production. That led me to a disambiguation page, where there are a number of good links to Wikipedia articles given. Maybe start with that? :smile:
Thank you sir

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Could you give me some insight on how left hand rule is applied to the question it is my understanding that only the right-hand rule applied to AC

Daniel2244 said:
Could you give me some insight on how left hand rule is applied to the question it is my understanding that only the right-hand rule applied to AC
Can you post a link? I've never used a left-hand rule...

1. How does AC production work?

AC production, or alternating current production, works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is done through the use of a generator, which contains a rotating coil of wire within a magnetic field. As the coil rotates, it creates a changing magnetic field, which induces an electric current in the wire. This current is then fed into a transformer, where it is stepped up to a higher voltage for efficient transmission.

2. What are the main components of an AC production system?

An AC production system typically consists of a generator, transformer, transmission lines, and a distribution network. The generator is responsible for converting mechanical energy into electrical energy, while the transformer steps up the voltage for transmission. The transmission lines carry the electricity to substations, where it is then distributed to homes and businesses through a network of power lines.

3. How is AC production different from DC production?

The main difference between AC and DC production is the direction of the current flow. In AC production, the current alternates direction, while in DC production, the current flows in one direction. Additionally, AC production allows for the use of transformers, which makes it more efficient for long-distance transmission.

4. What are the advantages of AC production?

One of the main advantages of AC production is its ability to be easily transformed and transmitted over long distances. This is due to the use of transformers, which can step up the voltage for efficient transmission and then step it down again for safe use in homes and businesses. AC production is also more cost-effective and efficient in terms of power generation and distribution.

5. What are some common sources of energy used in AC production?

The most common sources of energy used in AC production include fossil fuels such as coal, natural gas, and oil. These fuels are used to heat water and produce steam, which then drives turbines connected to generators. Other sources of energy include nuclear power, hydropower, and renewable sources such as wind and solar energy.