BJT and MOSFET complete analysis

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving analyzing a circuit with a BJT and a MOSFET separately. The problem involves finding various voltages and currents using DC analysis and then finding AC equivalent circuits and calculating various AC gain values. The conversation includes steps and tips for solving the problem and determining if the MOSFET is operating in saturation mode.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I have been given the world's longest transistor problem as an assignment :wink: Here is the circuit:
upload_2017-3-25_0-15-54.png

I am asked to find:
a) V1, V2 and V3 using DC analysis
b) AC equivalent circuit
c) AC tension gain: Ava=Vx/Vsig
d) AC tension gain: Avb=Vo/Vx
e) Total AC tension gain: Avt=Vo/Vsig
f) Rin
g) Rout
h) AC current gain: Aia=ix/is
i) AC current gain: Aib=io/ix
j) Total AC current gain: Ait=io/is

Now, I realize this is a long question... I'm just completely lost. I figured I would post here step by step what I do and try to get help.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can analyze the BJT and the MOSFET separately?

So far, I have started with the BJT DC analysis:
upload_2017-3-25_0-21-36.png

upload_2017-3-25_0-22-9.png

I tried to write as many equations as I could think of. I didn't want to take all the time to solve this for 6 eqns and 6 unknowns before having someone give me their opinion.

For the MOSFET:
upload_2017-3-25_0-29-20.png

with Vt=1, then here I could solve for VD and Vs

Physics news on Phys.org
For the BJT DC analysis I'd suggest replacing the base bias network with its Thevenin equivalent to start. Also remember to take into account the base-emitter diode potential drop!

Take advantage of how base, collector, and emitter currents are interrelated; you should know how ##I_E## is related to ##I_B## through the transistor's ##\beta## (which is in addition to how ##I_C## is related to ##I_B## of course).

With all that you should be able to write a single KVL equation to solve for ##I_B##. Once you have that all the other currents and potentials should fall into place.

Likes cnh1995
gneill said:
For the BJT DC analysis I'd suggest replacing the base bias network with its Thevenin equivalent to start. Also remember to take into account the base-emitter diode potential drop!

Take advantage of how base, collector, and emitter currents are interrelated; you should know how ##I_E## is related to ##I_B## through the transistor's ##\beta## (which is in addition to how ##I_C## is related to ##I_B## of course).

With all that you should be able to write a single KVL equation to solve for ##I_B##. Once you have that all the other currents and potentials should fall into place.
This is what I did
upload_2017-3-25_12-49-25.png

upload_2017-3-25_12-49-58.png

upload_2017-3-25_12-50-38.png

a lot easier than my 6 equations from before !

For the MOSFET, was I on the right path or completely lost ?

Cocoleia said:
a lot easier than my 6 equations from before !
:smile: Yup! Well done!
For the MOSFET, was I on the right path or completely lost ?
I admit that I haven't looked at the mosfet part. I'll do so when I find time... sorry about that.

gneill said:
:smile: Yup! Well done!

I admit that I haven't looked at the mosfet part. I'll do so when I find time... sorry about that.
No problem, I know this problem is super long, and I always post a lot for my homework and such. I really do appreciate the help, otherwise I am completely lost all the time !

I had a minute so I took a quick look at what you've done with the mosfet stage. It looks like you've assumed that the mosfet is operating in saturation mode by your choice of equation for the drain current:
upload_2017-3-25_14-21-28.png

Can you justify this choice? The circuit would appear to be an amplifier. Would saturation mode be a suitable guess to begin with?

gneill said:
I had a minute so I took a quick look at what you've done with the mosfet stage. It looks like you've assumed that the mosfet is operating in saturation mode by your choice of equation for the drain current:
View attachment 115026
Can you justify this choice? The circuit would appear to be an amplifier. Would saturation mode be a suitable guess to begin with?
Well, VDS > VGS-Vt since VGS-Vt would be negative ?

Cocoleia said:
Well, VDS > VGS-Vt since VGS-Vt would be negative ?
I think you'll have to do the analysis with your assumption in mind, then check that the results you find tally with your assumption.

gneill said:
I think you'll have to do the analysis with your assumption in mind, then check that the results you find tally with your assumption.
Hmm. When I solve my two equations I get either
VD = -1.152 and VS = -1.149 or VD = -0.857 and VS = -0.853

So then VDS isn't bigger than VGS-Vt... so it's not in saturation. Lovely, we have never done an example in class that wasn't in saturation. :confused:

gneill said:
Also, I tried to draw the AC small signal equivalent circuits
upload_2017-3-25_21-3-13.png

upload_2017-3-25_21-4-37.png

Cocoleia said:
Hmm. When I solve my two equations I get either
VD = -1.152 and VS = -1.149 or VD = -0.857 and VS = -0.853

So then VDS isn't bigger than VGS-Vt... so it's not in saturation. Lovely, we have never done an example in class that wasn't in saturation. :confused:
Fortunately there are web resources that you can tap into. A bit of googling quickly turns up such gems as:

http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jstiles/312/handouts/Steps for DC Analysis of MOSFET Circuits.pdf

http://whites.sdsmt.edu/classes/ee320/notes/320Lecture27.pdf

gneill said:
Fortunately there are web resources that you can tap into. A bit of googling quickly turns up such gems as:

http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jstiles/312/handouts/Steps for DC Analysis of MOSFET Circuits.pdf

http://whites.sdsmt.edu/classes/ee320/notes/320Lecture27.pdf
I'm doing something wrong. When I use the saturation equations I end up with it not satisfying the conditions and then when I use the linear equations I end up with it not satisfying the linear equations...
upload_2017-3-25_21-31-31.png

I used wolfram to solve for VD and Vs

Let's take another look at your calculations for saturated mode.

First note that the potential at the FET gate is a result coming out of the BJT section analysis (V2). What value are you bringing forward from that analysis? How will you relate this value to VGS?

gneill said:
Let's take another look at your calculations for saturated mode.

First note that the potential at the FET gate is a result coming out of the BJT section analysis (V2). What value are you bringing forward from that analysis? How will you relate this value to VGS?
Ok so
upload_2017-3-26_17-11-18.png

This is the formula I can use and my only unknown will be ID. I know V2=6v from the last part
upload_2017-3-26_17-12-12.png

But when I solve this, I get that ID=4.86x10^-3 or ID=5.14x10^-3

When I solve for VS I get VS=4.86V or VS=5.14V
and then for VD = 0.28V or VD=-0.28, respectively.
Neither of these sets will give me in saturation, and my prof told us it was for sure in saturation.

I suspect that you're running into problems in the handling of k'. That 0.5 value has units of mA/V2. If you're going to work with terms like ##I_D R_S## and retain the current as milliamps, then you'll have to scale the resistor value accordingly. Either that or convert k' to A/V2.

Likes Cocoleia
gneill said:
I suspect that you're running into problems in the handling of k'. That 0.5 value has units of mA/V2. If you're going to work with terms like ##I_D R_S## and retain the current as milliamps, then you'll have to scale the resistor value accordingly. Either that or convert k' to A/V2.
I see what you mean. The worst part is, I sent an email to my prof and he finally responded with that formula and it has an error o_Oo_O

Cocoleia said:
I see what you mean. The worst part is, I sent an email to my prof and he finally responded with that formula and it has an error o_Oo_O
Well, I suppose the formula would be fine so long as it's stated that RS is specified in kΩ.

gneill said:
Well, I suppose the formula would be fine so long as it's stated that RS is specified in kΩ.
It still doesn't work... where am I going wrong
upload_2017-3-26_17-50-54.png

##\frac{1}{2} 0.5~mA/V^2 = \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{2000} ~A/V^2 = \frac{1}{4000}~A/V^2##

gneill said:
##\frac{1}{2} 0.5~mA/V^2 = \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{2000} ~A/V^2 = \frac{1}{4000}~A/V^2##
Finally i figured it out, Id=2.1mA and then VD=5.8V
Now, for the first gain. WIll Vx = V2? Do I need to short circuit the capacitor to find Vo? Do I use the AC equivalent circuits ?

Cocoleia said:
Finally i figured it out, Id=2.1mA and then VD=5.8V
Great!
Now, for the first gain. WIll Vx = V2?
Probably ##v_x## is meant to be a small AC signal superimposed on V2 the operating point DC value, but since there's no explicit instructions in the problem you can make your own interpretation. You'll have to deal with the AC signal separately from the DC operating points eventually...
Do I need to short circuit the capacitor to find Vo?
You'll want to treat them as open circuits to DC (for the DC operating point determinations) but short circuits to AC signals for the AC analysis.
Do I use the AC equivalent circuits ?
Yes. Presumably you need to show your work at deriving the stage gains, so the AC small signal models are the way to go.

gneill said:
Great!

Probably ##v_x## is meant to be a small AC signal superimposed on V2 the operating point DC value, but since there's no explicit instructions in the problem you can make your own interpretation. You'll have to deal with the AC signal separately from the DC operating points eventually...

You'll want to treat them as open circuits to DC (for the DC operating point determinations) but short circuits to AC signals for the AC analysis.
Ok, so these are the equivalent AC small signal circuits:
upload_2017-3-27_16-38-30.png

upload_2017-3-27_16-1-52.png

Now I use the values from the DC part in these circuits to find my Vo, Vx and Vsig for the gains ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-27_16-1-44.png
    upload_2017-3-27_16-1-44.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 539
  • upload_2017-3-27_16-36-41.png
    upload_2017-3-27_16-36-41.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 519
Cocoleia said:
Now I use the values from the DC part in these circuits to find my Vo, Vx and Vsig for the gains ?
You probably won't need anything from the DC analysis other than to use the results to choose the correct AC models corresponding to the mode of operation of the transistors.

gneill said:
You probably won't need anything from the DC analysis other than to use the results to choose the correct AC models corresponding to the mode of operation of the transistors.
For example in the MOSFET. I can find ro=1/ID, then put it in parallel with RL and RD. I have a formula to calculate gm, so then Vo would be (gmvgs)(equivalent resistance) ?? But I have seen ro=Va/ID as well and in this case Va is infinity so I am confused

Last edited:
Cocoleia said:
For example in the MOSFET. I can find ro=1/ID, then put it in parallel with RL and RD. I have a formula to calculate gm, so then Vo would be (gmvgs)(equivalent resistance) ?? But I have seen ro=Va/ID as well and in this case Va is infinity so I am confused
I will admit that it's been too many years since I dealt with FET equivalent models, so treat my advice with a suitable amount of caution :smile:. If ##V_A## is to be taken as infinite then presumably that would imply that ##r_o## is infinite as well. That's equivalent to an open circuit, so you could remove it from the model.

gneill said:
I will admit that it's been too many years since I dealt with FET equivalent models, so treat my advice with a suitable amount of caution :smile:. If ##V_A## is to be taken as infinite then presumably that would imply that ##r_o## is infinite as well. That's equivalent to an open circuit, so you could remove it from the model.
Yes, that's right (I've been reading a lot on the internet hahaha)
I've gotten to the point where the only thing I have no idea how to find is Vsig. Mesh equations ? I don't know

Cocoleia said:
Yes, that's right (I've been reading a lot on the internet hahaha)
I've gotten to the point where the only thing I have no idea how to find is Vsig. Mesh equations ? I don't know
You are free to choose any value you like for Vsig, or leave it as a variable. If you want to work with numbers, estimate the gains of the stages and pick something that won't drive the transistors too far from their operating points. If you choose a too-big value you can always go back and make it smaller. Remember that you're going for gains which are ratios, so as long as your choices don't "break" the operating modes of the transistors, you should be okay.

gneill said:
You are free to choose any value you like for Vsig, or leave it as a variable. If you want to work with numbers, estimate the gains of the stages and pick something that won't drive the transistors too far from their operating points. If you choose a too-big value you can always go back and make it smaller. Remember that you're going for gains which are ratios, so as long as your choices don't "break" the operating modes of the transistors, you should be okay.
Ok.

I think Rout = RD, but what about Rin ? I never understand the Rin

Cocoleia said:
Ok.

I think Rout = RD, but what about Rin ? I never understand the Rin
It looks to me like ##R_S## will also play a role in Rout.

For Rin you should look to find the ratio of the (signal) voltage to current at the indicated location.

Likes Cocoleia

1. What is the difference between a BJT and a MOSFET?

A BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) is a type of transistor that uses both electron and hole currents for operation. A MOSFET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor that uses only electron currents for operation. This makes MOSFETs more efficient and versatile compared to BJTs.

2. How do BJT and MOSFET transistors work?

BJTs work by controlling the flow of current between two doped regions (called the emitter and collector) through a third region (called the base). MOSFETs work by controlling the flow of current between a doped region (called the source) and a non-doped region (called the drain) through a gate electrode.

3. What are the key characteristics of BJT and MOSFET transistors?

BJTs have a high current gain, meaning a small change in base current can result in a large change in collector current. They also have a low input impedance and high output impedance. MOSFETs have a high input impedance and low output impedance, making them better suited for high-frequency applications.

4. How do you analyze the performance of BJT and MOSFET transistors?

The performance of BJT and MOSFET transistors can be analyzed using various parameters such as current gain, voltage gain, input and output impedances, and power dissipation. These parameters can be determined through mathematical equations and circuit simulations.

5. What are some applications of BJT and MOSFET transistors?

BJTs are commonly used in amplifiers, switches, and digital logic circuits. MOSFETs are commonly used in power supplies, motor control, and digital logic circuits. Both transistors have a wide range of applications in electronic devices and systems.