Advice for a potential career in Pure mathematics

In summary: It was very hard to balance math, family, and teaching. I had to make sacrifices in order to do them all. I had to quit my job to focus on my graduate studies. I had to miss out on family events. But it was worth it. I am now a professor and a researcher in the field of algebraic geometry.
Brian Olson
I use to hate math during high school. However some eight years after graduating and being in the military help with my attitude towards math. I am reviewing a GRE math review book and I haven't been able to put it down. I just learned quadriatic equations and am pursuing into intermediate and advance algebra. I just never realized how much I actually enjoyed math till last year. I am teaching myself all this and I'm getting it more easy then I would ever imagine. So i jumped into the world of mathematics, discovering the field of Pure Mathematics. So my goal is to get a BA in Mathematics from SNHU and a Phd in Pure Mathematics from UCONN. Any advice/tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Research what are good books. Patience and tenacity is key. Read the book constantly with paper and pencil. Most of my books (older math books), tend to have larger margins. I write in the books, rewrite sentences and explain the proofs in the examples on the margins. Try to think about the why. Look at the proof. Practice it, and follow each line asking why it is true. Then after practicing alot, attempt the proof. If you get stuck after a while(not five mins then looking st the derivation), Re read it. And go again. Once you have it down practice for an hour without looking. Make sure you understand and not just memorizing. After proceeding a bit further in the book. Stop, grab a blank sheet of paper and summarize what you have learned. Then think of the proofs you practiced and re produce them on that blank paper without looking.

MidgetDwarf said:
Research what are good books. Patience and tenacity is key. Read the book constantly with paper and pencil. Most of my books (older math books), tend to have larger margins. I write in the books, rewrite sentences and explain the proofs in the examples on the margins. Try to think about the why. Look at the proof. Practice it, and follow each line asking why it is true. Then after practicing alot, attempt the proof. If you get stuck after a while(not five mins then looking st the derivation), Re read it. And go again. Once you have it down practice for an hour without looking. Make sure you understand and not just memorizing. After proceeding a bit further in the book. Stop, grab a blank sheet of paper and summarize what you have learned. Then think of the proofs you practiced and re produce them on that blank paper without looking.
Thank you! What areas should I be focusing on the most in pursuit of this? For my BA it's Calc, statistics, those things but I want to specialize in Algebra/Abstract Algebra

Depends what level ypu are at mathematically and proceed from there. I am still in the process of school. I have just completed linear algebra. How far have you gone in mathematics?

MidgetDwarf said:
Depends what level ypu are at mathematically and proceed from there. I am still in the process of school. I have just completed linear algebra. How far have you gone in mathematics?
I am just starting to learn linear algebra. I can add, subtract and multiply. I am learning how to division.

There is a thread here in the academic guidance section that was called something like "who wants to be a mathematician?", and now called perhaps "should i be a mathematician?" that was started for people like you. It is now very long but the first few pages are still relevant I suspect. There are lots of lists of good books and advice on taking courses in college. I started it about 9 years ago. I am a retired math professor with a PhD in algebraic geometry, that I obtained after taking a break in my schooling, being a meat lugger, and college teacher for a while, then starting a family and going back to grad school.

mathwonk said:
There is a thread here in the academic guidance section that was called something like "who wants to be a mathematician?", and now called perhaps "should i be a mathematician?" that was started for people like you. It is now very long but the first few pages are still relevant I suspect. There are lots of lists of good books and advice on taking courses in college. I started it about 9 years ago. I am a retired math professor with a PhD in algebraic geometry, that I obtained after taking a break in my schooling, being a meat lugger, and college teacher for a while, then starting a family and going back to grad school.
Thank you sir. I'll dig through and find the thread. So how hard was it to balance your family and school life?

very hard, the hardest thing i ever did; but if that is your goal, what choice do you have?

Likes MathewsMD
mathwonk said:
very hard, the hardest thing i ever did; but if that is your goal, what choice do you have?
I apologize for the long delay in replying but I agree and I'm lucky that my wife is supportative of it.

me too!

1. What skills and qualifications are needed for a career in pure mathematics?

A strong foundation in mathematics is essential for a career in pure mathematics. This includes a deep understanding of calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and analysis. Additionally, a graduate degree in mathematics or a related field is typically required.

2. What job opportunities are available for pure mathematicians?

Pure mathematicians can work in a variety of fields, including academia, research institutions, government agencies, and the private sector. Some common job titles for pure mathematicians include mathematician, data scientist, research analyst, and professor.

3. Is it necessary to have a PhD in pure mathematics for a successful career?

While a PhD is not always required, having a doctoral degree in pure mathematics can open up more job opportunities and lead to higher salaries. However, there are also plenty of fulfilling and successful careers in pure mathematics available to those with a master's degree.

4. How important is collaboration and networking in a pure mathematics career?

Collaboration and networking are important aspects of any career, and this is especially true for pure mathematicians. Collaborating with other mathematicians and scientists can lead to new discoveries and opportunities, while networking can help you find job opportunities and build professional relationships.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering a career in pure mathematics?

My advice would be to start building a strong foundation in mathematics early on, and to constantly challenge yourself with new and difficult problems. It's also important to stay up-to-date with current research and to actively seek out opportunities for collaboration and networking. Lastly, don't be afraid to pursue your passions and explore different areas of pure mathematics – you never know where they may lead you.