Career opportunities for Pure or computational mathematics

In summary, the speaker currently has a B.S. in mathematics and has been accepted into a Ph.D. program with four different specializations. They are interested in pure math, but are concerned about finding a job outside of academia. Their second choice is computational math, which they believe may lead to well-paying jobs in industries such as tech and finance. They wonder about the competitiveness of the job market for these degrees and if there is a chance of finding a job in pure math.
Fiochmhar
I currently have a B.S. in mathematics and just got accepted into a Ph. D. program for math. In this program there are 4 different specializations: applied math, statistics, pure math, and computational math. Out of these pure math interests me the most, however, I'm afraid I won't be able to find a job outside of academia after I graduate (I'm not sure how much NSA is hiring).

My second choice then would be computational math (I got a minor in computer science and enjoy the field). I would like to make a decent salary while still sticking to higher level math. Is that possible? Most forum threads I read say that mathematicians (outside of academia) end up not using much of the math that they learn.

So if it seems like I'm rambling, this is the shortened version: what careers are there in computational math (I wasn't very successful with google), how competitive is the job market for this type of degree? Also, is there any chance of getting a job with pure mathematics? (the math in this interests me greatly) or should I just give up hope now?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am certainly not an expert on this topic since I am a physicist, but I will try to answer since you haven't received any other responses. With a degree in computational mathematics, I am sure that you would be marketable to companies like Google, or maybe working with financial mathematical modeling for banks (there are very well-paying jobs out there called quantitative analysts that you may qualify for, look that up). With a degree in pure mathematics, I think it would be much harder to find a job in industry, although you may still be able to find something in fiance, and I am sure you could easily be hired as a professor. In my opinion, computational math would have a much larger job market mostly because you'd also have computer skills so you'd be able to find many more industry jobs, while the academia job market for computational and pure math might be about the same. And if that's true, then it's just a matter of whether you want to stay in academia or work in industry (and also, of course, which field interests you more). To answer your other question, you will not use as much "higher level math" in industry as you'd use in academia. It's unfortunate, but much of what we learn in school is not applicable to the job we finally end up in.

1. What kind of careers are available for pure or computational mathematicians?

There are a wide range of career opportunities for individuals with expertise in pure or computational mathematics. Some common career paths include data analyst, actuary, financial analyst, software developer, and operations researcher. Additionally, many mathematicians find work in scientific research, teaching, and consulting.

2. What skills do I need to have for a career in pure or computational mathematics?

To succeed in a career in pure or computational mathematics, it is important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and strong computer skills. Additionally, having a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely is essential.

3. Is a degree in pure or computational mathematics necessary for a career in this field?

While a degree in pure or computational mathematics is not always necessary, it can greatly increase your job prospects and earning potential. Many employers prefer candidates with a strong background in mathematics, and having a degree in this field can also open up opportunities for further education and specialization.

4. What industries typically hire pure or computational mathematicians?

Pure or computational mathematicians have a wide range of industries to choose from. Some common industries that hire mathematicians include finance, technology, healthcare, government, and education. Additionally, many large corporations and research institutions also employ mathematicians for various roles.

5. How can I stay updated on career opportunities in pure or computational mathematics?

One of the best ways to stay updated on career opportunities in this field is to network with other mathematicians and professionals in related industries. You can also join professional organizations, attend conferences and workshops, and regularly check job boards and career websites for openings in your area of interest.