1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice for an Undergraduate Physics major looking for focus

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    I am a sophmore physics major, and I'm trying to decide on a concentration. I'm very interested in psychology, and am trying to find a way to combine the two, but I doubt that with the time remaining that I could even minor in bio or psychology in the time remaining to me. If I wish to pursue something like neuroscience, what should I do now? Is a simple physics bachelors enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2
    If you want to get into neuroscience you'll need a strong background in biology, not just a minor. When considering the next 40 years of your life, an extra 2 years to switch majors is not a big deal.

4. Jan 12, 2015 #3
    I'm not sure I agree with you Greg, there are lots of biophysics students with little to no biology background who learn what they need either in graduate courses or on their own. I'm guessing it depends on the type of neuroscience you're interested in. Wet lab stuff probably necessitates a solid biology foundation, but theoretical or computational neurophysics/neuroscience probably doesn't.

5. Jan 12, 2015 #4

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Strongly agree with this. Neuroscience is almost a meaningless word these days, at least when discussing skill sets. A do some work with computational neuroscientists and their skills and knowledge is so different from the behavioral neuroscientists that they barely speak the same technical language. It is almost beyond belief how complex neuroscience is and the diversity of backgrounds and skills speaks to this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook