1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Advice On Self Study Choices for Physics

1. May 7, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am currently a physics and applied maths major in Australia. I am studying part time as I am also an athlete and spend a lot of my time travelling and training. Because I am studying part time, I have been self studying alongside my subjects and on the semester breaks and while I travel in order to keep up with whatever interests me at the time. I have a current dilemma where I need to choose a topic of self study, but I have a few options to choose from and I'm not sure which order I should start. My options are:
    • Classical Mechanics - John R. Taylor
    • Introduction to Electrodynamics - David Griffiths
    • Quantum Mechanics Volumes 1 & 2 - Cohen Tannoudji & Diu Laloe
    • Principles of Quantum Mechanics - R. Shankar
    I have done subjects at university that cover all of these topics, but I want to go through them in more depth to get a better foundation in my understanding. My opinion would be to go through them in the order that I listed above, but I'm taking my opinion with a grain of salt as I'm not too wise in having this type of foresight in what to do. Aside from my courses, the only other text I have been through somewhat thoroughly is the quantum physics book by Eisberg and Resnik.

I look forward to reading your advice!

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2017 #2
    Personally, I would read Griffiths before Taylor. It is fun to see how quantum mechanics takes the familiar electrodynamics and turns it on its head, but I think it is more useful to come into quantum mechanics immediately after having read a detailed analysis of angular momentum and the Hamiltonian, which you would get from a classical mechanics text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted