Advice On Self Study Choices for Physics

In summary: The Cohen Tannoudji books are very well written and provide solid foundation of quantum mechanics. However, if you are looking for a more modern approach, Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics might be a better choice. Ultimately, it is up to your personal preference and learning style. It may also be beneficial to revisit certain topics from your university courses in more depth, as you mentioned you have already covered these topics. Overall, it is important to choose a path that will strengthen your understanding and interest in these subjects.
MiloBoots
Hi everyone,

I am currently a physics and applied maths major in Australia. I am studying part time as I am also an athlete and spend a lot of my time traveling and training. Because I am studying part time, I have been self studying alongside my subjects and on the semester breaks and while I travel in order to keep up with whatever interests me at the time. I have a current dilemma where I need to choose a topic of self study, but I have a few options to choose from and I'm not sure which order I should start. My options are:
  • Classical Mechanics - John R. Taylor
  • Introduction to Electrodynamics - David Griffiths
  • Quantum Mechanics Volumes 1 & 2 - Cohen Tannoudji & Diu Laloe
  • Principles of Quantum Mechanics - R. Shankar
I have done subjects at university that cover all of these topics, but I want to go through them in more depth to get a better foundation in my understanding. My opinion would be to go through them in the order that I listed above, but I'm taking my opinion with a grain of salt as I'm not too wise in having this type of foresight in what to do. Aside from my courses, the only other text I have been through somewhat thoroughly is the quantum physics book by Eisberg and Resnik.

I look forward to reading your advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
MiloBoots said:
Hi everyone,

I am currently a physics and applied maths major in Australia. I am studying part time as I am also an athlete and spend a lot of my time traveling and training. Because I am studying part time, I have been self studying alongside my subjects and on the semester breaks and while I travel in order to keep up with whatever interests me at the time. I have a current dilemma where I need to choose a topic of self study, but I have a few options to choose from and I'm not sure which order I should start. My options are:
  • Classical Mechanics - John R. Taylor
  • Introduction to Electrodynamics - David Griffiths
  • Quantum Mechanics Volumes 1 & 2 - Cohen Tannoudji & Diu Laloe
  • Principles of Quantum Mechanics - R. Shankar
I have done subjects at university that cover all of these topics, but I want to go through them in more depth to get a better foundation in my understanding. My opinion would be to go through them in the order that I listed above, but I'm taking my opinion with a grain of salt as I'm not too wise in having this type of foresight in what to do. Aside from my courses, the only other text I have been through somewhat thoroughly is the quantum physics book by Eisberg and Resnik.

I look forward to reading your advice!
Personally, I would read Griffiths before Taylor. It is fun to see how quantum mechanics takes the familiar electrodynamics and turns it on its head, but I think it is more useful to come into quantum mechanics immediately after having read a detailed analysis of angular momentum and the Hamiltonian, which you would get from a classical mechanics text.

1. What is the best way to choose a self-study program for physics?

The best way to choose a self-study program for physics is to first assess your own learning style and preferences. Are you someone who learns better through hands-on activities or visual aids? Do you prefer structured lessons or independent exploration? Once you have a clear understanding of your learning style, research and read reviews on different self-study programs to find one that aligns with your preferences.

2. How do I know if a self-study program for physics is reputable?

One way to determine the credibility of a self-study program for physics is to look for accreditation or endorsements from reputable organizations or institutions. You can also read reviews and testimonials from other students who have completed the program to get a better understanding of its effectiveness.

3. Is it possible to learn physics on my own through self-study?

Yes, it is definitely possible to learn physics on your own through self-study. It may require more discipline and dedication, but with the right resources and study habits, you can successfully learn and understand the concepts of physics without formal instruction.

4. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying physics?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-studying physics will depend on your individual learning pace and goals. It is recommended to set aside at least 1-2 hours a day for consistent and effective study. However, you may need to adjust your study time depending on the difficulty of the material or your own understanding of the concepts.

5. What resources should I use for self-studying physics?

There are various resources available for self-studying physics, such as textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. It is important to choose resources that are reputable and align with your learning style. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as study groups or tutoring, if you are struggling with certain concepts.