Aerospace Engineering: Salary, Job Opportunities & Research

• Thread starter hsarp71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary: Aerospace has the potential to pay more, but it is not guaranteed. Aerospace engineering research is very promising, but there is also a lot of competition for positions.
hsarp71
Hi,

just wondering how much scope there is in aerospace engineering and how well aerospace engineers get paid in comparison to other engineering disciplines- i really like aerospace but i'd just like to know where it ranks in terms of salary; how much do they get paid, and where can you find work? and how good are the research possibilities.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks that was a quite useful link

Here aerospace gets a higher wage than a fair few other engineering sectors, trumped mainly by Chemical and "some" electrical.

I would do aerospace over most other engineering even if it payed the least.

I think only F1 would get my attention more than aerospace.

Do because you want to, not because it pays well, or you'll find you'll hate the job and thus no do well, thus not getting promoted well.

Yes I think I'm going to go ahead with aerospace. (because i want to :))

And where exactly is "Here"?

From my advice from doing an aeronautical engineering degree, i would only take it if you are serious about aerospace, and really enjoy engineering, because it was in my experience a lot of hard work, and then evin more work! :P . But saying that I really enjoyed my course. But on the other had if you are only slightly interested, try doing something like mechanical engineering, as the workload is slightly less, allowing you to have more fun at uni :P

What school are you looking at?

Also, what specialty of aerospace are you more interested in, if you have one? The two main divisions for study are atmospheric and space.

I’ve come to call this ego-driven behavior the “loser decision.” I don’t mean it as an insult. It’s an objective fact that life often presents us with choices where the comfortable decision leads nowhere and one that threatens your ego has all the potential in the world.

I don't mind extra workload, as long as the work is good (which i think it will be)!
now, both the atmospheric and the space side appeal to me- i can't say which one i prefer until i actually do it..
what i wanted to know was whether something like computer engineering or chemical engineering has much more potential than aerospace and if so, is the difference so much that i should think twice before doing aerospace?
Thanks for all the input

No, you will find plenty of jobs in both industries assuming you do well in your courses.

Related to Aerospace Engineering: Salary, Job Opportunities & Research

1. What is the average salary for an aerospace engineer?

The average salary for an aerospace engineer in the United States is around $116,500 per year. However, this can vary greatly depending on factors such as experience, location, and company.

2. What job opportunities are available for aerospace engineers?

Aerospace engineers have a variety of job opportunities in both the private and public sectors. They can work for companies in the aerospace industry, government agencies such as NASA, or in research and development roles. Some common job titles for aerospace engineers include design engineer, systems engineer, and project manager.

3. Is there a demand for aerospace engineers?

Yes, there is a high demand for aerospace engineers in the current job market. With the growing advancements in technology and the increasing need for air and space travel, the demand for qualified aerospace engineers is expected to continue to rise.

4. What skills are important for a career in aerospace engineering?

A career in aerospace engineering requires a combination of technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and creativity. Some important skills for aerospace engineers include strong math and science skills, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, and the ability to work well in a team.

5. What kind of research do aerospace engineers do?

Aerospace engineers conduct research in a variety of areas, including aerodynamics, propulsion, materials science, and control systems. They may also work on developing new technologies and improving existing ones for use in aircraft, spacecraft, and other aerospace systems.