Aerospace to MSC in astrophysics?

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a Master of Science degree in astrophysics or theoretical physics after completing their undergraduate degree in aerospace science and technology. They are also interested in the field of astrobiology and are wondering if it is possible to switch fields for their graduate studies. However, it is important to consider the necessary foundational knowledge and qualifying exams for graduate programs in physics. Additionally, their financial situation may impact their ability to attend graduate school.
Astroian
Summary: Master in astrophysics from aerospace science

I am studying Aerospace Science and Technology and I always want to study theoretical physics and astrophysics. So, can I do a MSC in astrophysics or theoretical physics or must I learn more things about the subject to be ready? Is astrobiology a possible subject to get involved with?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Astroian said:
must I learn more things about the subject to be ready?

A master's is a graduate degree, and it starts where an undergrad degree leaves off.

Vanadium 50 said:
A master's is a graduate degree, and it starts where an undergrad degree leaves off.
Yes i understand, but can i study either one of above options from a degree in aerospace science & technology?

Astroian said:
Yes i understand, but can i study either one of above options from a degree in aerospace science & technology?

Here's the problem. Nowhere in any of your posts did you state your end goal. What exactly do you want to be when you grow up? Even if you did get to do a M.Sc in Astrophysics, why are you choosing M.Sc in particular, considering that if you wish to work in the field of Astrophysics, a Ph.D degree is typically necessary?

It is NEVER IMPOSSIBLE to go from one undergraduate major into graduate major in a different field. So the silly answer to your original question is, "Yes, it is possible." However, you need to ask whether (i) this is likely, and (ii) how difficult is the transition. "Astrophysics" is a physics subfield, meaning this is another field of study within physics, similar to nuclear physics, condensed matter physics, high energy physics, etc...etc. Students typically specialize in such fields after their undergraduate degree and going into graduate program (M.Sc., Ph.D). What this means is that you need the same foundational knowledge as any typical undergraduate physics major. Do you have this?

You also did not indicate where in the world you are, or when you intend to pursue this. In the US, most graduate program in physics requires that you pass a qualifying exam, even for a Masters degree. Have you looked at sample problems being asked in such a qualifying exam? Do you think you are well-prepared to pass such exams?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/
Zz.

Thank you for your answer. I will start my undergrad program in Greece this fall, but i always wanted to have a job either in astrophysics or astrobiology.

Astroian said:
Thank you for your answer. I will start my undergrad program in Greece this fall, but i always wanted to have a job either in astrophysics or astrobiology.

When why are you going to study "aerospace science and technology"?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
When why are you going to study "aerospace science and technology"?

Zz.
Its because its near my town, and i don't have much money to put aside for rent a house in the city.

Astroian said:
Its because its near my town, and i don't have much money to put aside for rent a house in the city.

But you will have the money to go to graduate school?

Zz.

1. What is the difference between aerospace and astrophysics?

Aerospace is a broad field that focuses on the design, development, and operation of vehicles that travel through air and space. Astrophysics, on the other hand, is a specific branch of physics that deals with the study of the universe, including its origins, evolution, and properties.

2. What is the educational background needed for an MSC in astrophysics?

To pursue an MSC in astrophysics, you typically need a bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, astronomy, or mathematics. Some programs may also require coursework in computer science, engineering, or other sciences.

3. What skills are important for a career in aerospace and astrophysics?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are crucial for both aerospace and astrophysics. Additionally, proficiency in computer programming, problem-solving, and critical thinking are highly valued in these fields. Good communication and teamwork abilities are also important for working in a collaborative research environment.

4. What kind of job opportunities are available with an MSC in astrophysics?

With an MSC in astrophysics, you can pursue a career in research and development in areas such as space exploration, satellite technology, or aerospace engineering. You can also work in academia as a professor or researcher, or in the private sector in industries such as aerospace manufacturing or data analysis.

5. How does studying aerospace and astrophysics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying aerospace and astrophysics allows us to explore and discover the mysteries of the universe. Through research and experimentation, we can gain a deeper understanding of the laws of physics and how they apply to the vastness of space. This knowledge can also lead to advancements in technology and innovations in space exploration.