1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

After 14ms the current drops -- Find the capacitance at C

1. Apr 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    IMG_20170426_121636.jpg Here is what I have so far. Am I going the right direction?
    If so, how do I go about finding the total current?

2. Relevant equations
    See photo above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    See above.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2017 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Is that what you are asked?

4. Apr 26, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You are given two values for the current at different times. You'll want to use them at some point...

What kind of circuit is this? If you simplified the circuit, combining the capacitors and combining the resistors, what are you left with? What kind of behavior would you expect when the switch closed? What's the general formula for the current with respect to time for such a circuit?

5. Apr 26, 2017 #4
    Well, since the resistors are in series you can combine them to equal one resistor with a resistance of 3+1= 4kOhm.
    The capacitors in parallel would equate to one capacitor with 3+C= (3+C)microFerrads.
    Current with respect to time would be = Q/Δt ?

6. Apr 26, 2017 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, so you have a basic RC circuit (resistor - capacitor circuit).
    Your class notes or textbook should show a general formula for the charge or voltage or current with respect to time for such a circuit. If not, do a web search on "RC circuit discharge". Here's an example hit:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capdis.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted