1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verification of the capacitance of a capacitor

Tags:
  1. Feb 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the circuit shown in the figure below, the hase difference between the current and the voltage is 30 degrees, show how could you verify the capacitance of the conductor so that the phase difference could be 15 degrees.
    Muz9U.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    tan θ=-Xc/R (the phase difference in the RC cirucit with an AC source)

3. The attempt at a solution
    That is my attempt, I show how much would be the value of the capacitance in the second case mathematically.
    2VX1D.png
    Is it correct?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2017 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Conductance is the reciprocal of resistance. What you have in the circuit is a capacitor (or condenser).
    I didn't check your actual values step by step, but your approach is correct. Also, the new capacitance is coming out to be more than the old capacitance, which is correct (can you think why?).

4. Feb 5, 2017 #3
    Oh, sorry, I corrected it.
    OK, I think because when the capacitance is greater the reactance of the capacitor will be less than the original one, so its effect in the circuit will be smaller, and then the phase difference between the current and the voltage will be smaller too. Am I right?

5. Feb 5, 2017 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Right. Capacitive reactance is inversely proportional to the capacitance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted