Verification of the capacitance of a capacitor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Samar A
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In the circuit shown in the figure below, the hase difference between the current and the voltage is 30 degrees, show how could you verify the capacitance of the conductor so that the phase difference could be 15 degrees.
Muz9U.jpg

Homework Equations


tan θ=-Xc/R (the phase difference in the RC cirucit with an AC source)

The Attempt at a Solution


That is my attempt, I show how much would be the value of the capacitance in the second case mathematically.
2VX1D.png

Is it correct?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Samar A said:
show how could you verify the conductance **capacitance** of the conductor so that the phase difference could be 15 degrees.
Conductance is the reciprocal of resistance. What you have in the circuit is a capacitor (or condenser).
I didn't check your actual values step by step, but your approach is correct. Also, the new capacitance is coming out to be more than the old capacitance, which is correct (can you think why?).
 
cnh1995 said:
Conductance is the reciprocal of resistance. What you have in the circuit is a capacitor (or condenser).
Oh, sorry, I corrected it.
cnh1995 said:
can you think why?).
OK, I think because when the capacitance is greater the reactance of the capacitor will be less than the original one, so its effect in the circuit will be smaller, and then the phase difference between the current and the voltage will be smaller too. Am I right?
 
Samar A said:
OK, I think because when the capacitance is greater the inductance **reactance** of the capacitor will be less than the original one, so its effect in the circuit will be smaller, and then the phase difference between the current and the voltage will be smaller too. Am I right?
Right. Capacitive reactance is inversely proportional to the capacitance.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Samar A