Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

After finding the Einstein Tensor

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    Before I begin, I stress that this is NOT a homework question but rather a self-study question.

In any case, I calculated the Einstein Tensor of a body with the metric diag[{2GM/r-1,0,0,0},{0,1+2GM/r,0,0},{0,0,1+2GM/r,0},{0,0,0,1+2GM/r}]. What does the Einstein Tensor represent? Does its determinant/trace/or matrix operations have any physical meaning?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2009 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

The covariant derivative of the Einstein tensor is zero, which by the Einstein field equation means the covariant derivative of the stress-energy-momentum tensor is zero, which is related to energy-momentum conservation in flat spacetime.

4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    Basically, the Einstein tensor is a trace-reversed version of the Ricci tensor (a contraction of the Riemann curvature tensor). Its most salient feature is that it is conserved, in the following sense: [tex] G^{ab}_{;b} = 0 [/tex]. In other words, the "divergence" of the Einstein tensor vanishes.

5. Apr 17, 2009 #4
    As was mentioned indirectly; the Einstein tensor is physically identified with the physical stress-energy tensor. The physical properties associated with the Stress-Energy tensor are explained in various books. The wikipedia article seems adequate:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-energy_tensor

Ray

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook