Aid to visualizing warped Spacetime?

• Thread starter EskWIRED
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a visual aid for understanding the curvature of spacetime. This aid would involve a 2D simulation of a 3D grid with an attractor that would cause the grid lines to bulge, representing the effect of gravitational curvature. The conversation also touches on the limitations of this simulation, including the fact that it can only represent spatial curvature and not temporal effects. The potential for further refinements, such as varying the mass and radius of the attractor, is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about whether such a simulation already exists.
EskWIRED
I've wanted a visual aid to the curving of spacetime and I can't seem to find one.

What I am thinking about would be a 2D simulation of a 3D grid, a matrix, made up of evenly spaced lines. Initially, it would simulate flat spacetime, composed of cubes with grid lines at all the intersections. Just a picture of transparent empty boxes.

But I envision an attractor which the user can place in the grid. The attractor would attract the lines, and bulge the boxes towards the attractor.

The bulges would simulate the effect of gravitational curvature on spacetime. What would result would be a picture of the transparent boxes subject to tidal forces, varying from extreme close to the attractor, and nearly insignificant if one were to zoom out far from the attractor.

Does my description of what I have in mind make sense?

If so, would it really be a visual aid to curving space time? Only curving space? Neither?

I would also envision user input to vary the "mass" and the "radius" of the attractor, enabling one to create white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes.

What I really want to do is to set things in black hole territory, and see what happens to the "shape of space" in the vicinity.

Further refinements could include rotation of the attractor with consequent frame dragging, multiple attractors showing a frozen slice of time, or even multiple moving attractors warping space into weird shapes, with low-mass objects flying through.

Does anything like this already exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you're describing would have the limitation that it could only visually represent spatial curvature. The Riemann tensor doesn't just have space-space elements in it. It also has time-space elements.

Also, keep in mind that an animation like the one you're describing can be misleading, because each frame seems like one snapshot in time, whereas there is no such notion of simultaneity in GR. This is a big issue, e.g., when you deal with black holes, where there is no such thing as a static observer inside the horizon, and the Schwarzschild "r" coordinate becomes timelike.

EskWIRED said:
Further refinements could include rotation of the attractor with consequent frame dragging, multiple attractors showing a frozen slice of time, or even multiple moving attractors warping space into weird shapes, with low-mass objects flying through.

Doing this exactly would be extremely complex, since you'd have to include effects like gravitational radiation.

A couple of the links in this thread have animations: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=632575

bcrowell said:
I think what you're describing would have the limitation that it could only visually represent spatial curvature. The Riemann tensor doesn't just have space-space elements in it. It also has time-space elements.

Thanks. I can understand that limitation.

But given the limitation, would such a gadget, in its simple form, with only one static attractor, produce a decent enough simulation of the effects of curved space visually?

ISTM that each of the cubes would be deformed towards the attractor, much in the manner that space is "attracted" by gravity. And if the proper formulas were used for the characteristics of the attractor, it might be of great aid in visualizing what happens to space in the vicinity of a massive object.

Thank you for sharing your idea for a visual aid to warped spacetime. It sounds like a fascinating concept and could definitely be a helpful tool for understanding the effects of gravity on spacetime.

There are already some existing visual aids for warped spacetime, such as simulations and animations created by scientists and educators. However, your idea of using a 2D grid and an attractor to demonstrate the curvature of spacetime is unique and could potentially provide a more interactive and customizable experience for users.

As for whether it would be a visual aid for curving space or spacetime, it could potentially demonstrate both. The bulging boxes could represent the curvature of space, while the varying tidal forces could represent the effects of warped spacetime. It would ultimately depend on how you design and present the simulation.

I am not aware of any existing simulations or visual aids that exactly match your idea, but there are certainly many resources available online that could serve as a starting point for your project. I would encourage you to continue developing your idea and potentially collaborate with other scientists or educators to create a comprehensive and accurate visual aid for warped spacetime.

1. What is warped spacetime?

Warped spacetime refers to the concept in Einstein's theory of relativity that states that the presence of mass and energy can bend the fabric of space and time, altering the geometry of the universe.

2. How does warped spacetime affect our perception of gravity?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This curvature affects how objects move through space and gives the illusion of gravitational attraction.

3. How does aid to visualizing warped spacetime help us understand complex concepts?

Visual aids, such as diagrams and simulations, can help us understand complex concepts like warped spacetime by providing a visual representation of the abstract ideas involved. This can make it easier to grasp the concept and see how it affects the behavior of objects in the universe.

4. What are some practical applications of understanding warped spacetime?

Understanding warped spacetime has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, where it helps us understand the behavior of objects in space, and in engineering, where it is crucial for accurate calculations in fields such as GPS technology.

5. Is warped spacetime a proven concept?

Yes, warped spacetime is a well-established concept in the field of physics. It has been supported by numerous experiments and observations, including the bending of light by massive objects and the accurate predictions of the orbits of planets in our solar system.