Air bubble in blood circulation

In summary, an air bubble in the right atrium of the heart can potentially pass through a Patent Foramen Ovale and enter the left atrium, leading to a possible infection.
uq_civediv
i remember once seeing on tv (fiction) how a man threatened another with a syringe and said he would inject the other with air and that 2 ccm would be enough to kill, if i remember correctly

what happens if air gets into your circulatory system ?

i imagine it would be ok until it is pumped into the heart and occupies the space needed for blood to flow through

any comments ?

Biology news on Phys.org
Air in circulation won't kill you quickly the way the movies depict it. It would be more like a diver getting decompression sickness, where the air would impede blood flow in various organs...slowly...and blood clots may also form.

This wikipedia.org page has a decent discussion of air embolisms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_embolism

And what they say about AGE (arterial gas embolisms) is true -- they are treated very seriously. That's why the immediate first aid for a cut involving a carotid artery (in your neck) is an occlusive dressing of some sort -- air can get sucked into the carotid artery wound, and cause very serious issues with the brain.

Last edited:
It depends on the amount of air, a little bit won't be to bad but there is a certain amount that could kill you. It used to be an issue with blood transfusions before they switched from using glass bottles to plastic bags, sometimes air would get into the infusion line and cause an air embolism.

berkeman said:
And what they say about AGE (arterial gas embolisms) is true -- they are treated very seriously. That's why the immediate first aid for a cut involving a carotid artery (in your neck) is an occlusive dressing of some sort -- air can get sucked into the carotid artery wound, and cause very serious issues with the brain.

Um...you'd want to put an occlusive dressing onto a large arterial wound pretty quickly to avoid bleeding out too. The carotid sheath also extends all the way down into the chest, and is a pathway for air to get into the pleural cavity to cause a collapsed lung if one has a serious neck wound.

Years ago I had surgery on my shoulder. When the nurse was changing my IV bag, I noticed what seemed to me to be a large bubble moving down the line, heading for my vein. I just about freaked out! She said, oh, don't worry, it won't hurt a thing. Happens all the time.

It was over 20 years ago, so she must have been right.

Moonbear said:
The carotid sheath also extends all the way down into the chest, and is a pathway for air to get into the pleural cavity to cause a collapsed lung if one has a serious neck wound.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks Moonbear.

One test for a Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) is done via Echocardiogram, saline, and air.

A mixture of X amount of saline is mixed with a cc of air and agitated through two syringes. The ingected solution creates a bolus of "bubbles" that quickly enter the right atrium with the potential to pass through a PFO at the interatrial septum.

It takes a relatively high volume of air in a single bolus to cause any real problem. A person would most likely have a higher probability of dying from an infection through improper sterility than an air bubble in the OP's situation.

1. What causes an air bubble in blood circulation?

An air bubble in blood circulation can be caused by a variety of factors, such as medical procedures that involve the use of air or gas, a punctured vein or artery, or a defect in the heart that allows air to enter the bloodstream.

2. How does an air bubble affect the body?

An air bubble in the blood can block the flow of blood and oxygen to vital organs, leading to tissue damage, organ failure, or stroke. In severe cases, it can even be fatal.

3. How is an air bubble in blood circulation diagnosed?

An air bubble in the blood can be diagnosed through imaging tests such as X-rays, CT scans, or ultrasounds. Your doctor may also perform blood tests to check for levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood.

4. Can an air bubble in blood circulation be treated?

Treatment for an air bubble in the blood depends on the severity and location of the bubble. In some cases, the bubble may dissipate on its own. Other treatment options include medications to dissolve the bubble or surgery to remove it.

5. How can an air bubble in blood circulation be prevented?

To prevent an air bubble in blood circulation, it is important to follow proper medical procedures and precautions, such as ensuring all medical equipment is properly primed and avoiding activities that can cause air to enter the bloodstream. It is also important to seek immediate medical attention if you suspect an air bubble has entered your bloodstream.