Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air HES, Air Hydroelectric Station

1. May 20, 2012 #1
    Air HES is air hydroelectric station. It is a new type of power plants which is now in research stage. If the experiments will succeed, people all around the World will get a source of completely green electricity and also clean drinking water (even in deserts and so on).

If you want to learn more about our science project, please check out our website: airhes.com

What do you think about this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

One non-technical comment: The writer of the website text has not learned to construct English sentences correctly.

4. May 20, 2012 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is no "above-mentioned Swiss HPS". (You should have an editor find and fix all your errors.)

And 450 mph sounds like a really extraordinary speed for water to be passing through a 3 mm tube over a distance of 2 to 3 kilometers.

I think your flow loses are going to be higher than you've estimated.

I would do an experiment with a 30 foot long, 3 mm tube, and check flow rates before I invested more. Or better yet, find the relevant fluid dynamics equations. They will give you ball park numbers. And best yet, they're free!

5. May 20, 2012 #4
    Balloon 500 m3 raises 500 kg

If you look at this site you balloon would need to be larger.
    http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/lift.html

A balloon containing hydrogen of 500 m3 would lift only about 200 kg from the site.

6. May 21, 2012 #5
    Have you been looking at the graph for hydrogen? The lift is 1.03 kg/m^3
    according to that site.

Since the pressure of air is lower at an altitude, the air won't weigh as much.
    You won't need more helium, because that expands as well, but the balloon
    itself needs to be bigger

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook